Intermittent freezing turned to BSoD

Moriibund

Corsair H150i set up with 6 fans in push-pull... I was able to hit 5.45 with a avx offset of 2 but tuned it down to 5.25 for better stability. For monitoring I have been using iCUE until recently when I started using MSI afterburner as it's min/max time length is better.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/26989361
This was 4 months ago when I upgraded to the 2080Ti, I know it's userbenchmark and not terribly reliable but does show that I was running at 5.25

Edit: Integrated GPU also gives a blue screen when gaming.
Also, to be clear 'under load' is what I see during gaming so ~30-50% cpu usage, not benchmarking at 100% usage. During benchmarks temps got much higher.

Last edited:

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I am now getting freezes even when not gaming and just web browsing.
I doubt that we are going to make much real progress - in an online situation - it is I am sure a question of trying ram - psu - and even processor
I still recommend you try a clean boot - if that still crashes, then I suggest you boot from a Linux USB and run Linux in a live seesion on ram - this will eliminate anything connected with Windows
https://linuxmint.com/
Is the computer connected diret to AC or via a anti-surge bar or similar, sometimes these can cause problems in not supplying the full AC voltage across the anti-surge.

I remain reasonably convinced it is hardware causing the problem

Moriibund

It is connected via a surge protector. I am in relative agreement that it is hardware... I just don't know what hardware and I can't really just start replacing hardware all willy-nilly. I will try the clean boot followed by linux.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Try direct connection not on anti surge bar
Of course I appreciate you cannot simply replace hardware willy-nilly
I was not suggesting you did
You need to check for instance the CPU using
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool
The check with PRIME
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16474-prime95-stress-test-your-cpu.html

If the CPU passes both check the GPU using Furmark
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/13081-furmark-gpu-stress-test.html on both card and integrated

Check ram using this
https://hcidesign.com/memtest/manual.html
I appreciate you have used Memtest and WMD, but this will provide an additional test
I presume you ran MEMTEST for TWO complete passes each pass consisting of 10-12 tests

We should know more after the clean boot and the Live LInux tests

Moriibund

I was unable to recreate a freeze with a clean boot. IPDT found no errors, and I ran Prime and Furmark for a hour each no problem. I plan to run the mem test you linked at 400% when I go to bed later, and I will run Prime and Furmark for 2hrs each after. Frustration mounts as this issue persists but I would like to acknowledge your excellent patients and support. Without you and people like you I don't know where I would be right now...
Edit: I have just changed the outlet so we will see if that has any effect.
Edit: Still freezing after changing outlets. Also got a freeze instead of a BSoD during gaming.

Last edited:

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I was unable to recreate a freeze with a clean boot
If THAT is still true and not retracted by the later mentioned freezes then use clean boot troubleshooting

1. Select Services, and then select Hide all Microsoft services.
  2. Select each of the check boxes in the upper half of the Service list.
  3. Select OK, and then select Restart.
  4. After the computer restarts, determine whether the problem still occurs.
    • If the problem still occurs, one of the checked items is the problematic service. Repeat the steps and clear the lower half of the boxes in the Service list that you selected in your last test.
    • If the problem doesn't occur, the checked items are not the cause of the problem. Repeat the steps but this time turn on the upper half of the boxes that you cleared in the Service list in the last test.
    • Repeat these steps until you've either isolated the problem to a single service, or until you've determined that none of the services are the cause of the problem. If you experience the problem when only one service is selected, then check of course that app, its driver etc.
    • IF NO SERVICE proves to be a problem deal with the startup items
  5. Select Startup, and then select the upper half of the check boxes in the Startup Item list.
  6. Select OK, and then select Restart.
    • If the problem still occurs, repeat step 5, but this time clear the lower half of the boxes in the Startup Item list that you selected in your last test.
    • If the problem does not occur, again repeat step 5, and turn on the upper half of the boxes that you cleared in the Startup Item list in the last test.
If you still experience the problem after only one Startup Item is selected in the Startup Item list, this means that the selected Startup Item causes the problem, and you of coruse explore that item, for updates, etc or if not required simply delete it.

Moriibund

I was able to get a freeze during a clean boot.
edit: check ram ran with no problems

Moriibund

Clean boot does not solve the issue but is making a noticeable difference in stability. Definitely have fewer freezes that are farther apart when I clean boot. Here is the requested logs.

Attachments

Last edited:

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Clean boot does not solve the issue but is making a noticeable difference in stability.
Whilst I look at the log, do you think it worthwhile establishing whihc aspect of the clean boot makes the freezes less as per my post 22.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
The log
The server Microsoft.SkypeApp_15.63.76.0_x86__kzf8qxf38zg5c!App.AppXtwmqn4em5r5dpafgj4t4yyxgjfe0hr50.mca did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

There are many reports of that
There are also reports of Asus update service causing problems

I recommend you ensure Skye app is up to date and if it is reinstall it in any case

I also recommend you uninstall/disable Asus update service
You do not need it, windows will upodate most and you can check the motherboard site yourself for imporant updates.
There appears to be some history of asus update service causing problems

I presume the 2080 is an MSI 2080 is that correct please.
MSI Afterburner 4.6.2

Moriibund

I uninstalled skype, don't use or need it, it was a default windows app.
I can't seem to locate the asus update service?
It's an asus card but dislike their software so use the msi one.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I do not see anything in the log that jumps out at me as being responsible
I regret to say that as you have clean installed and still get freezes and you have also clean installed windows before, the only other recomemd I have is as my previous post run a linux mint live session in ram
This will totoally eliminate any software issue so if it freezes in that we are left with hardware - basically speaking
Post 18 refers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online