1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Intermittent High ping and disconnect

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TGFL.Strawberet, Mar 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TGFL.Strawberet

TGFL.Strawberet Thread Starter

So I have CenturyLink internet I have been trying to fix my internet connection for a while during playing a game on my Xbox one I have intermittent disconnections and high ping rates while playing my main game which is rocket League during the game you can see your ping by pressing the back button on the controller and there's intermittent High pings so I have been trying to figure out ways to solve this problem but I have not come across something that actually helps. I already enabled ipv4 and IPv6 for my Xbox I've tried changing the DNS and I've also tried changing all my ports for my modem and Port forwarded all the required ports for Xbox One for the games that I play. Nothing seems to be working for a stable connection CenturyLink is the only provider that provides to my house so there's no other option besides going to satellite internet which for gaming as you probably all know sucks. I don't know very much about networking but I did take a few classes allow me some experience into what I'm dealing with and I tried to change quality of service setting so that my bandwidth tries to go to the Xbox one but I can't really figure out how exactly to do it if I'm wrong and you know that I'm wrong please tell me and if you know a way to help me please let me know. Also on a different note my DSL 1 light keeps going out intermittently I have a bonded internet connection which again sucks for gaming but that's all they can give me to increase my speeds so that I'm able to have the speeds that I like while having other people on my connection. When they first set up my internet for the whole first year I didn't really have any problems but now it seems to be dropping out every 15 minutes or so in my I have high ping rates every minute or so. Without kicking everybody off my internet what is another way that I can solve this problem does anybody know any way that I can get this to work. I've called technicians to my house to try to fix this issue but I'm currently thinking that it has to be something to do with my drop line to my house or maybe the area line out by the polls. Please help I hate not being able to play a game.

d3monkid12 likes this.
  2. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    You have to communicate with Centurylink. They will run tests on the DSL line and the connection to the modem and check the quality of service provided as well as your your provisioned speed. As noted in your other thread, that provisioned speed is dependent upon the distance you are away from the DSLAM.

The periodic disconnects could be noise on the POTS line, bad RJ11/RJ14 terminal connectors ( such as corrosion ) or even a problem at the DSLAM.

Usually noise occurs during specific periods of the day but you have not indicated any pattern. Therefore the best option is to start by working with the Centurylink. In you other post I got the impression that there was to be a dispatched Technician on Monday.

3. TGFL.Strawberet

Well one of the CenturyLink technicians came out and he said there could be a he knows the Dropout on the alignment at first and then he said that there could be a problem with one of the ports back of the CEO so he said he replaced on the ports supposably and it was working then he left and it was working fine all during the week not really those better but during the weekends is where I mainly have my problem with his a lot of noise going on during the weekend I guess I don't know if there's other people in my area but there's not very many people down my street I know there's a school that might be there but using connection but they're not there on the weekend know. I know there's a lot of errors in this message ignore them I'm using text to speak and it's basically saying everything that I'm saying

4. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    CEO - Do you mean CO as in Central Office, the location of the DSLAM ?
    If Yes, they replaced or serviced the DSLAM ?
    If Yes, the problem still existed ?

I am having a hard time reading your last post. It is mostly one run-on sentence and hard to understand.

If noise on the POTS line is affecting DSL, please see Post #5 concerning noise affecting DSL in a different thread.

That post referred to that modem. Specifically for you...

The objective is to open the clam shell, wrap the telephone wire around the opened core and then close and snap the clam shell. It should be placed 6 ~ 9 inches before the Actiontec C1900A modem+router.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  5. TGFL.Strawberet

Well I'm guessing you read that correctly. You pretty knowledgeable from the post that we've already had a discussion about and this what I understand since he supposedly already replaced the port on the dslam but still receiving noise on the line. I'm not sure I know exactly what you mean by clamshell are you referring to my knitted that's outside my house and I need to place my modem 6 to 9 inches from that Ned on the inside of my house for to have a better stable connection also I opened up mine ID and I saw there's a bunch of other wires just all wrapped up and pushed in there there's there's got to be so much attenuation on that because of all those lines is there a way that I can get the technician to clean that up should he do that or is it if it's possible should I just do a home run line directly to my head to my modem. You said something about refer to a post that previously dealt with something similar to my situation is there a way that you can post the link to that post or a better description of where to find that again thanks for your help

6. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    Presuming it is noise, we can try filtering out the noise by using a common mode ferrite core line filter that is easily applied.

https://www.frys.com/product/343155...B3FM1OJnQ__.node4?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

The objective is to open the clam shell, wrap the telephone wire around the opened core and then close and snap the clam shell. It should be placed 6 ~ 9 inches before the Actiontec C1900A modem+router.

Noise Filter clam shell open
    Line Noise Filter 1.jpg

Noise Filter clam shell closed and on telephone line.
    Line Noise Filter 2.jpg

Example noise filter on telephone line 6 ~ 9 inches from DSL Modem
    Telephone-NoiseFilter.JPG

7. TGFL.Strawberet

Okay so you're referring to the clam shells being ferret cores at work we call NIDs clam shells and those ferret cores.

8. TGFL.Strawberet

Okay so I found a ferret core on a cord that I'm not using I took it off and I put it around my phone cable going into my modem and literally right after I put it on there not even 5 minutes it DSL Line 1 dropped out and it's been blinking for roughly two minutes now is that basically meaning that there's a problem still on CenturyLink end Maybe.

I don't know maybe I need to just cancel the bonded connection with CenturyLink and just get a single connection modem single DSL connection because that could probably cause less dropouts with with the lines cuz DSL 2 line seems to be fine 100% of the time DSL one is the only one that keeps dropping out on me causing packets to be lost during transmission

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1224214

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice