1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Intermittent (Inexplicable?) Power Failures

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Charon, Sep 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charon

Charon Thread Starter

Hello,

I have a problem with my system and I do not know what is causing it. I have a desktop PC running XP, P4 2.6, 512 RAM. I was running Sygate's firewall, and have McAfee going as well. I had a little trouble updating to the Service Pack 2, but nothing that seemed connected to this power problem.

I drove cross country with the tower in a move, and since I've set it back up, I have had trouble with it staying "on". The first few times I turned it on, it immediately turned itself off again - without even really getting to check RAM. I tried several more times, each time getting further along in the boot up process before it shut down again - same thing each time, it would just apparently lose power - but that is not accurate, since the board would remain lit. I would have to turn off the system from the toggle in the back of the tower, then attempt turning it on once again. Right now, it has stayed up for about two hours, and it survived a night as well. If I run a game on it, the game seems to escape the power-outages for the duration - which suggests a software issue, not hardware - at least to me. I re-updated Service Pack 2's install on the recommendation of Comcast technical support, but that hasn't seemed to change the situation at all. Comcast suggested it might be something to do with power regulations in SP2.

How do I fix this recurring power failure issue? Any ideas?

2. Rockn

Rockn

Open the case and reseat all power cables and ribbon cables to drives, make sure the CPU fan hasn't come disconnected on the trip. Reseat all of the memory modules. THings could have easily vibrated loose on the trip.

3. Charon

Charon Thread Starter

Yep, that was one of the first things I tried - checking cables and all the other places where something might have come loose. I'll try it again.

The fan that you recommend checking - you are talking about the cables connected to the fan, the fan housing, or something else?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!