1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Intermittent internet connection (weird problem)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by andes, Sep 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andes

andes Thread Starter

I have a linksys modem and and a wireless linksys router. I am connected on the hard line from my laptop. When I moving around sites like ESPN, MSNBC, Amazon etc., every so often my internet connection hangs and I have to power off my modem and power it back on to get connectivity back. When it hangs the status light starts blinking. The cable company, when they are watching it hang, say that they suddenly lose my modem completely and that it goes off line. The cable guy came out and replaced cables and put in an amplifier in the line. All of this did not help. Then, when I tested this moving around one site to the other with our other PC, this problem could not be repeated. It appears that this is peculiar to my laptop and the problem started appearing 3 weeks ago. I downloaded Spybot and zapped all the spyware programs and also cleared my Temporary Internet Folder (incl. cookies). I ran Norton and found nothing. The Spyware and clearing of the Temp Int Folder seemed to help a little bit, in that pages were loading a lot faster and the problem does seem a little less frequent, but it still occurs. One thing I haven't done is to bypass the router and go direct to the modem - but a) my other PC works fine through the router and b) we just replaced the router a week ago and the problem has been present for both routers.
    I somehow don't think the modem and router are the problem and it is something to do with my PC. Any ideas?

2. compgeek101

compgeek101

I would try to go directly from the modem to the laptop and see if it does it. If it doesn't you know its the router. If it does try it that way and see if it does it with the desktop and get back to us.

3. razdad4

razdad4

I have a problem similar to that of andes. Two computers networked through a linksys wireless-g router (not in wireless). One computer (call it "A")runs XP home and occasionally loses ability to connect to internet, while the other ("B"), running XP Pro never loses connection. "A" will work fine and then suddenly can't access a page it was just on. So far, the only way to restore connectivity is to restart the computer. Have run SpySweeper, Ad-Aware, etc. and cleared everything out. Problem has been going on for a few months.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270490

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice