1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Intermittent internet connectivity

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by nibor, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nibor

nibor Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.40GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 1023 Mb
    Graphics Card: RADEON 9200 LE Family (Microsoft Corporation), 128 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 76308 MB, Free - 55598 MB; F: Total - 72951 MB, Free - 24273 MB;
    Motherboard: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD, MS-6577
    Antivirus: ZoneAlarm Antivirus, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

I have a Talk Talk router which serves my computer with an ethernet cable connection and my wife's laptop wirelessly. The connection keeps going and I have to turn the router off and on again every time. Sometimes it happens even after a few seconds. On my previous computer I had a Broadcom Advanced Control Suite (BACS) which had a diagnostics feature which usually enabled me to re-establish connection. I had a complete crash when that computer had a power failure; I have installed BACS (BACS 2 - version 8.2.63) on my present computer but the diagnostics feature is not there, though a network test is available, which usually says the system has passed the test even when I have no connection; and I get a message "No active Broadcom network adapters detected in this system". Is this why the diagnostics feature is missing, and how can I install the relevant network adapter?

Needless to say, Talk Talk are of no use in this matter. The router is nearly new, and no changes have been to any connections in my house.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    is this on both PCs or just one

Please make a note of the status of the lights on the modem and on the router when working normally - post that light status here.
    Now when the internet disconnects make a note of the status of the lights for the modem and router here again. also note which have changed.

What firewall / security suite or anti-virus do you currently have on the PC - or you have ever had on the PC in the past - any trial ware - like Norton, Mcafee , AVG , Webroot etc

3. nibor

nibor Thread Starter

I have a suspicion that my reply to Etaf got lost, possibly because of the problem I have been describing.

The lights on my router (I have no modem) are as follows:

When connection is working:

Power Continuous green
    ADSL Continuous green
    Internet Flashing or continuous green
    WLAN Continuous green

LAN1 "1" continuous green (this is my ethernet cable connection)

When the connection is off the lights are as above except that the Internet light is either continuous red or blank.

Since my wife's wireless laptop is on a different floor I don't always check; generally that connection is off too, though there was an instance when it was on when mine was off.

I use (as mentioned in the system description at the head of my original post) Zone Alarm firewall and antivirus. I have never downloaded any other. My wife uses AVG.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    thats the issue - its not logging into the talktalk system

so you will need to
    1) reset the router to factor defaults - talktalk routers should retain your logon details - BUT i would make sure you have that information - username and password - usually [email protected] and password - should have been sent to you in a welcome pack
    or we need to log into the router and see the settings
    whats the make and model of the router ?

OR
    theres a line issue / filter issue / exchange or ISP issue

do all telephone sockets - with any kit connected - telephone, fax etc - have a adsl filter fitted

remove all devices from all extensions , except for the router connection - does it still go wrong

next is the router plugged into the main master socket ?

and next we can eliminate the internal wiring if you have a master socket - i can cover later , once you have answered the above

then after all that and the master socket test - you will need to talk to talktalk and see if they have a record of your login and how long it shows you have been connected

5. nibor

nibor Thread Starter

To answer your post I have to give a bit of history. For some years I had an IBM Desktop with similar spec to my present one (v the start of my original post), and my wife had an aged Dan desktop - both these had ethernet connection. We had a Netgear router which worked with no problems. I had installed all the necessary filters when we first installed broadband. Recently there have been developments: my wife has acquired a Compaq Presario laptop with wireless capability, and my IBM crashed with power supply problems which wrecked the motherboard. I now use a Compaq Presario desktop with no wireless capability. I acquired from my ISP provider TalkTalk a router with wireless as well as ethernet, but it proved a dud and a TalkTalk engineer visited us to instal a more powerful model which does not seem to have a name. It says TalkTalk on the front and on the bottom it says Broadband Wireless N ADSL2+ Router HUAWEI HG533 - not a very catchy description. The TalkTalk engineer was surprisingly helpful and checked all the filters and connections etc in the house so since nothing has been changed I can take it that that is all in order. I was never given any username or anything like that. The engineer set it all up and gave me the wireless ID and the codeword to connect it, both of which are printed on the rear of the router. Actually the question I was asking in my original post was concerned with the Broadcom Advanced Control Suite (BACS). This was installed on my IBM computer and I found it useful if I did ever lose connection. So I thought it would be useful to have it on my present computer and downloaded it; but it is incomplete since the vital diagnostic feature is missing, and my question was how I could rectify this, and whether the absence of a network adapter was relevant.

At present the situation is that I lose connection mostly in the mornings, with the lights on the router as per my last post, but usually it reconnects itself in a few minutes without my doing anything. only occasionally do I have to switch the router off. I feel that if the BACS diagnostics worked I could reconnect more easily.

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    that is the make and model - talktalk often provide these or d-link (may be others - but those are the ones i tend to install on a talktalk contract)
    yes , they are an outsourced cpmpany , and I have dealt with then on a few on clients site, and they seem very good
    it often appears in a booklet welcome pack - just in the cover - looks more like a generic sales brochure - but we can check that in the router setup
    i cant help with that

but this is an indication of the problem being with the Router - Cables to the Phone, Phone Lines - exchange and ISP , that light is showing the connection and login to the ISP - so its not a PC issue and all devices , connected should disconnect under those conditions

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083512

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice