1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Intermittent Internet Issues with Cogeco, up to 72 hour Disconnects - Past 16 Months

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Ink230, May 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ink230

Ink230 Thread Starter

Hardware

ISP: Cogeco

Loc: Southern Ontario, Canada

Modem: ARRIS TM822

Router: ASUS RT-N12C1

Service Calls & Conducted Services

Service Calls: 20+

Technicians: 14

Maintenance: 5

Modems Replaced: 4

ISP recommended routers: 3

In-House Rewiring: 2

Bell Blocks Removed: 2

Drop Replaced: 3

Tap Relocation: 2

Fast Q&A

- Modem DC's with or without: a) direct computer connection, b) direct receptacle or power bar, c) phone line connected, d) router connected, or any configuration of settings, e) battery connected, f) waiting 10/20/30/60 seconds before resetting, g) doing any combination of the above

- Technicians stated our signal in the house was perfect

- Technicians stated early on that the signal from the pole has a high upstream

- Technicians who have come out during a downtime have stated 'signals are all over the place, no consistent measure'

- Technicians have stated that they are surprised the connection is up because 'your signals are in flux 10-50 dB on every stream and signal'

- Adjacent neighbours have no internet/phone/TV issues. They are also on the same plan and bundle

- Internet & Phone will disconnect every 5-15 minutes, and be down from 1 minute up to 72 hours

- We will go a week without any issues. Then for 2-5 days up to 3 weeks we will have massive disconnections, and complete service interruptions at the above times

- TV has no degradation of signal or any other issues during a down time

- Weather seemed to be an early culprit, but now the issue is occurring very frequently in perfect environment conditions

Hopefully the above is enough information to paint the picture of the extremely irritating issue my mother's household has been facing. My mother looks after my grandmother. My grandmother relies on a working phone and we have had to pay WIND mobile for service for a cell phone because of how unreliable Cogeco has been. It is a serious liability for us in having a working phone, and internet in the household for obvious medical reasons.

We would like to stop paying additional cell phone contracts we do not need, and we would also like to receive proper and consistent service from Cogeco, or any ISP.

We want to know if switching ISP's would rectify this issue, or if it is an issue that would plague us with any ISP. In that case, do we go to the city, or where do we go from there? Do we reach out to as many neighbors in our area to see if there's a collection of issues? Anything really.

Should also mention Cogeco has given us a total of 3 months of free service. We currently are on the same free credit/no bill for May. I would switch ISP's immediately, but if its a distribution issue, would switching ISPs fix the issue for sure? If not, other ISPs like Bell may not give such credit. Very hesitant. We used Bell for 4 years, and then switched to Cogeco in 2003. Cogeco has been fine up until 2012.

I do not live at this residence, but I am responsible for ensuring tech stuff works. I have been unable to figure out the cause on my own, regardless of how much I've tried to learn about internet infrastructure and distribution within my local area. 20+ calls, and a dozen or so technicians have also gone wasted. Hopefully someone with experience can shed some light on this.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    This is cable service, right?

First--slightly off topic--the only phone in a household should not be via cable company unless the phone is only a luxury. I know that my cable company even advised my neighbor to not switch to them from a landline unless he had a cell phone.

Sounds like a problem somewhere between the place where her service branches off from the main coax cable and the modem. Maybe a loose connection; maybe a defective component; maybe a frayed cable that sometimes contacts something it shouldn't.

And those technicians didn't start working backward to find the source of the fault???

If the service is similar to mine outside the residence her cable connects to the company's cable and that junction should be grounded. Carefully check that connection for tightness and for absence of corrosion or rust. Clean it if necessary and protect it if that seems to be needed. Unless that connection is the source of the problem I think that it is up to the technicians to trace the problem back to the source.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Can you switch to Cogeco's Fiber to the Home in your area?

If you switch to Bell or another DSL or Fiber provider you wouldn't be using any of the same infrastructure. Cogeco is a cable provider while companies like Bell do ADSL service through phone lines. Both now offer their own fiber though. That said DSL service is usually inferior to cable service around Ontario.

I know many people who use phone service including businesses through their cable service and its very reliable. Personally though I have no land phone service at all and only use a cell as its much better value for me.

Have you requested higher tier techs to check out the issue?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1125873

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice