Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Intermittent Internet/Packet Loss

2K views 29 replies 4 participants last post by  plodr 
#1 ·
I've been having intermittent internet/packet loss when gaming, or even watching shows.
I use Spectrum with 1gig download/ 40mb upload with an ethernet connection.
There are about 12 devices connected but they are smaller devices such as printers, other work laptops (used for emails), phones, and one doorbell camera.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 19044, Installed 20220322170703.000000-240
Processor: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700 @ 2.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 167 Stepping 1, CPU Count: 16
Total Physical RAM: 32 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060
Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (451 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME B560M-A AC, ver Rev 1.xx, s/n 210382760300214
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n G3590621310558
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

#6 ·
The question I have is what happens to the lights on the modem when you lose connectivity? Does the Upstream (or US/TX) flashing or the Downstream (DS/RX) or the Online light?

Note, if it's any of the three, your ISP should be checking your line. from the outside and then the inside at this point.

#7 ·
The modem has 3 lights that show Power, Online, and Voice.

The router has 1 light indicating it is on.

I'm not sure if the lights go off at the time, but I'm sure the problem is upload and not download because when I'm on discord I still hear other people while being disconnected but I can't say anything back/get a response in the mean time.

My ISP has checked the connection upto the roof of my house but I don't think they checked the surrounding area.

From what I recall this has been happening for about 3 months, and there was a 2 week period it was good after a power outage.

#11 ·
Here's the 8 page manual
Code:
https://manuals.plus/spectrum/advanced-voice-modem-manual.pdf
page 5
Power status light: when Blue, it is on
Online status light: if white DOCSIS 3.0 and if Blue 3.1 DOCSIS
Voice status light: when Blue, it is on

Watch your online status light to see what happens.

What is the brand and model of router?

#14 ·
Now this is interesting. I found this for a review of that router.
I previously rented the Spectrum Wave 2 Router (Sagemcom version) from Spectrum ($5/month). The Wave 2 is manufactured by three different companies (RAC2V1S: Sagemcom; RAC2V1K: Askey; RAC2V1A: Arris) for Spectrum, all with similar specs and identical form factor.
Source: https://www.amazon.com/Askey-802-11ac-Wireless-Connectivity-Required/dp/B082F2PYLN#customerReviews

Can you look and see if your router ends in S, K or A?

#16 ·
you probably would have had to shut down the modem and computer first before connecting.
Anyways what I wanted for you to do is the following

when connected to the router, in the Command Prompt type ping google.com -n 100 and press enter. This will run a series of pings for about 1 minute. Copy and paste the stats

next, shut down the modem and computer, connect the two then bring up the modem first and wait for the online light to be solid. Next start the computer. This should've get an ip from the ISP. try your connection and see if it works well.

run the command again and copy/paste results and copy both results here.

#17 ·
Router:

Ping statistics for 2607:f8b0:4006:824::200e:
Packets: Sent = 500, Received = 498, Lost = 2 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 7ms, Maximum = 61ms, Average = 18ms

Modem:

Ping statistics for 2607:f8b0:4006:823::200e:
Packets: Sent = 435, Received = 435, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 7ms, Maximum = 89ms, Average = 13ms

I noticed the 2 packets I lost were only when I was trying to play games so I think the issue is unique to that.

#18 ·
The lost packets would be something that would be using the internet connection so that would be normal especially within 500 pings. The ave/max ms would be the thing to check but those are good. … I would say stay connected to modem directly for a few days if you can to see if you can the same issue. If you don’t, then most likely the router is causing the issue

#19 ·
I remembered that when my internet connection up/down doesn't disappear but goes down to 1mb down and 0.03 up last time so I'll try to recreate the modem test while playing tonight.

I don't know if I can stay on the modem for a few days since I also have people who need the internet. Would buying another router be okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.