1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Intermittent Internet Speed slow downs with a TP Link usb adapter

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Svencredible, Mar 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Svencredible

Svencredible Thread Starter

Hi all, hopefully someone can help me with my internet woes.

I have recently bought a TP Link wireless usb adapter (TL-WN727N). Initially I had some issues with drivers but solved that and my internet was working perfectly for around 2 days. However recently the internet speed has dropped down to extremely low speed periodically for no apparent reason. I can be downloading something at around 700kBps one moment then only have 100B/s the next.

Anyone have any ideas as to why this might be happening and how to fix it?

Some general system info:
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 4 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 4093 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series, 1024 Mb
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., GA-870A-USB3L
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is this a problem with internet access, or with your wireless connection to the AP? If the latter ...

Make sure you have the latest driver from TP-LINK's web site.

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with that see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

3. Svencredible

Svencredible Thread Starter

Apologies for the late reply, I've had trouble getting the Xirrus due to problems with my internet....

The screenshot is attached. I'm fairly sure that my problem is with my adapter. I can be having problems viewing webpages on my desktop but can then switch to my laptop and have no issues.

When initially installing the TP-Link I did try installing a driver from the TP-Link website, this caused the adapter to stop working altogether. Instead I'm just right clicking on the device and getting windows to find and update the driver.
    The page for my adapter lists drivers for v1 and v3, according to the box mine is Ver:2.1.

Attached Files:

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Well, that's certainly disconcerting; especially since you are having a problem. And this definitely "smells like" a driver issue or defective adapter. Check what it says on a label on the adapter. Info here.

Can you turn off or disable the BTOpenzone (just for testing)?

In the interest of not overlooking anything ...

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista or 7.

Start - All Programs - Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1046200

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice