1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Intermittent Loss of Internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Speedbird1, Mar 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Speedbird1

Speedbird1 Thread Starter

I am connected to Optimum via Cablevision. At least 1 X a week, I lose internet service while still getting Cablevision TV service. It usually happens early in the morning. I get a message "You are not connected to the internet". This is what I must do. I have to shut-down everything and re-boot. After re-booting, the cursor freezes, so I must press power-off on my PC and re-start. Then, everything works fine. What could the problem be? This is very annoying and time-consuming and shutting off power to the PC without logging-off is not so great for the PC. I use Windows XP Pro. If a bad connection, I would get this daily but it's only intermittently and usually after I don't use the PC for a day or two.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What is the brand and model of your modem? What is the brand and model of your router if you have one?

Are your Computer specs up to date--this computer is ~10 yrs. old and you do not have SP3 yet?

What has the computer been doing just before the "not connected" message? Shut down. In active use? Hibernation? Etc.?

Please show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

3. Speedbird1

Thanks. I can give you some further information but not too much as I don't kbnow how to cut& Paste. All I do is basically surf the web. I do believe that the problem started before I got the router but the router is TrendNet Model TEW-432BRP. The modem is from Webstar but I don't have the model # as it's impossible to lift-up without pulling out all the attached cables. It was given to me by Cablevision (OPtimum). The problem usually happens when the PC is shut-down for over a day. I never lose the signal on the same day. Would the flashing green lights on the Modem, change when the internet signal is lost? Now, I see 5 green lights on my modem. The first light is constantly flashing; is that normal? Next time I lose the signal, I will post here about the 5 lights. Would the lights help us solve the problem? Also, what is SP3 ? My PC was previously used and is from 2002. After logging-off, I always shut-down the PC. Thanks again.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes, sometimes the LEDs on a modem or router are extremely helpful in diagnosing network difficulties. Usually the User Guide gives at least a partial explanation of what the LEDs are telling us. Usually a User Guide can be found on the web.

For example, page 5 of your Trendnet manual includes ...

SP3 is service pack 3 for Windows XP. I doubt this has anything to do with your current problem, but updating to SP3 and getting all the other critical Windows updates is advised. It's the first or second thing I do after installing XP.

For the info requested there is no need to cut, but for the record, to cut just select what you want and then right click on the selected item(s) and click on 'Cut' in the resulting context menu. Cut, copy and paste in a Command prompt window are done a bit differently, which is why I gave the special instructions for that copy.

To paste right click where you want the item(s) to go and click on 'Paste' in the resulting context menu.

5. Speedbird1

I believe I already have Service Pack 2 installed. Should I proceed to install Service Pack 3 ? Must I remove SP 2 or does that happen when I install SP 3? Also, how exactly do I install SP 3? Thanks.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Start - Programs - Windows Update and then check for updates. Since you apparently don't visit that very often it will take several trips and reboots to get up to date. No need to remove SP2.

7. Speedbird1

I finally downloaded SP3. It took almost 2 hours of time and I'm sorry I did. The PC is acting very slow since I updated. This PC only has 1.60 Ghz and only 256 MB of RAM (it's from 2002). Also, after downloading, I again lost the internet signal and had to re-boot everything. It now takes 10 minutes to get on-line; before downloading SP3 it took half that time. What is the cause? Why did I need to download SP3?

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Support for Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2) will end on July 13, 2010. A 1.6 GHz CPU is fine. But in my experience with 256 MB RAM XP will get slower and slower, especially the boot and startup, until one relents and installs it fresh or doubles the memory.

The time that I tried really hard to fathom why an XP was taking so painfully long to startup I cleaned out all the temp folders, prevented non-essential stuff from startup, and finally looked at a boot log (option on the boot tab in msconfig). The boot log showed thousands of strange errors and reattempts at I don't know what. I doubled the memory to 512 MB and the system was "cured." I know this doesn't explain why your system is slow or whether SP3 installation is a cause or just coincidental.

For sure at a minimum do a disk cleanup, disk check and defragment the disk.

9. Speedbird1

I have IE 7 installed. I have no idea how to do a disk cleanup, check or defragment. I will look into that tomorrow or on the next day when I get the time. Today is a rainy day here in NYC so I am stuck in the house. Thanks again.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    In My Computer right click on your hard drive - Properties - Tools tab - do the disk check selecting both options and say 'yes' to doing it on the next boot.

The other two can be found in Start - Programs - Accessories - System Tools.

11. Speedbird1

Thanks. I will try to do disc check when I get a chance. This PC is acting extremely slow since downloading Service Pack 3. It actually takes over 20 minutes to get on-line now and typing is very slow. I should have stuck with SP 2. What do you think?

12. Speedbird1

More problems since downloading SP 3. I've lost the Java Applets that I need for my work; without these applets displayed, I cannot do my job. While I still have Java downloaded, I checked, the applets are gone. I went into the Control Panel as suggested, to enable Java for my web browser, but still no applets. I am desperate. I don't know why I upgraded to SP 3. It messed-up my PC and it is slower than ever.

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Two of the best ways I know of to passively get into big trouble with Windows include

a. Run with too little memory. XP needs 512 MB RAM to have any chance to stay stable.

b. Delay installing service packs and other critical updates for more than a week or two.

I don't have time right now to post other suggestions, but they come after (IMO) the 3 I already offered as minimum.

14. Speedbird1

My dentist told me to use Disc Defragmentation since my PC was running extremely slow since downloading Service Pack 3. I was amazed that after doing disc defragmentation, my PC is at least 5X faster. What exactly does disc defragmentation accomplish? Should I also try "Disc Cleanup" or leave it alone? My only problem now is that Internet Explorer is still running with no-adds. I've tried everything to enable Java applets but no success. It just doesn't want to use add-ons.

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You have Windows XP, right? The XP defrag shows you what it does. On your machine the top graph should have shown multitudes of fragmented files and little if any contiguous free space. The bottom, after defragging, should be showing only a few (at most) fragmented files and a large area of contiguous free space.

Running disk cleanup will get rid of unneeded temporary files. I had listed it first because I see no sense in defragmenting files that I can get rid of anyhow.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913068

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice