1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

intermittent loss of wireless connection running vista

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ronniefesta, Aug 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ronniefesta

ronniefesta Thread Starter

Hey all,

Newbie to this site, I have had a quick look around, but can see the same problems as I am having(alhough I am bound to be proven wrong... which I dont mind at all).

I have a HP laptop, 2.5 years old. I am on Virgin broadband on a wireless netgear router(supplied by virgin).
    I am using WPA Personal encryption.
    When I fire up the laptop, it takes a while, but everything fires up ok.
    I can connet to the internet wirelessly no problems at all.

Then, when it decides to slip me a length, I get a problem connecting, and I get the blank page ashing me to diagnose connection problems,
    I get a balloon pop up saying that I only now have limited connection to the internet. It comes up with useless information thats does not help solve things.
    The only way to get commection back is to reboot the pc, and then it works fine for a bit again. The timing varies, but it is very frustrating.
    I have ran windows update etc, installed latest router drivers.
    I run F-Secure, and also SPYBOT S&D to keep my system clean.
    Neither program find anything mallicious or anything like that

I think the problem is pc related as when I get this problem, I can stll connect to the router no problem via my mobile wirelessly, with no issues

When this does happen, when I try clicking the 2 little pcs in the taskbar, I get nothing up, or it runs very very very very slow.

Any Ideas Guys and Gals?

Is it likely a software issue and am I going to have to wipe everything out and start again, or is it likely the wireless thingy in my laptop, and I am doomed regardless.

One last thing, when I do get this problem, If I hardwire via ethernet to the same network, I then get connection.

Over to any help appreciated,
    Thanks
    Ronnie

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

First things I might try are:
    Download and install any more current router firmware from the netgear site.
    Change the wireless channel being used.1/6/11 in US,if you are here.

3. ronniefesta

ronniefesta Thread Starter

Thanks pedroguy

Well I am in the uk.
    I have tried upgrading the firmware in the router, and had a firmware failed problem, spent the last hr on netgear site, and eventually ended up emailing them as well, although like I say, when I cant access the net via the laptop, I still can via my mobile on wifi.

Bizarre one

Thanks for your help

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest driver for the wireless adapter. If it is an integrated adapter the driver should be from HP's web site.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/854841

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice