1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Intermittent network on selected computers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Satchelmouth, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Satchelmouth

Satchelmouth Thread Starter

I am a software engineering student with a reasonable knowledge of network architecture and how to configure networks. Because of this my father recently asked me to install a new Belkin N wireless modem router. For some reason it cuts out intermittently giving either IP address conflict or limited or no connectivity. The gateway appears blank in cmd/ipconfig when the error occurs. This is driving me mad as I have gone with basic settings, and hoped that maybe it would work properly for once?
    It appears to be a DHCP problem but i have no idea how to resolve this. Any help would be appreciated ASAP.
    Satch :confused:

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

What's the version of Windows running on the problem machine?

Repair duplicate IP address on network issue.

1. Turn off everything on the network, ALL the machines and any other network device like network printers and NAS drives.
    2. Turn off the router and modem.
    3. Turn on the modem, wait for a steady data light.
    4. Turn on the router, wait two minutes.
    5. Turn on the network devices and computers, one at a time.

This issue is usually caused by resetting a router without resetting all the network connected devices.

Another issue that will cause duplicate IP addresses is assigning static IP addresses to devices that conflict with the router's DHCP address range. If you require static IP addressed devices on the network, they should be configured to be in the same subnet but outside the address range defined for the DHCP server.

3. Satchelmouth

Thanks bud,
    I will give this a try and let you know how i get on,
    Satch

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest firmware for the router. Then reset it to factory default settings and reconfigure it.

5. Satchelmouth

I have got the latest firmware installed and I tried JohnWill's suggestion but it seems to have not worked. Last night after i did this the router disconnected from the internet for a while and then said it was connected but did not allow internet use.
    Goddamnit!

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    We understand your frustration as we've all been there. But it doesn't help a whole lot. Anyhow there's just one more thing to cover all your possibilities (that I know about): reset the router to factory default settings (reconfigure is optional). If the problem continues go to Belkin's web site and make use of their lifetime warranty (unless it's still early enough to simply replace it or get a refund at the retailer).

7. Satchelmouth

I havent yet had any disconnects today so i will see what happens. I changed the Ip storage configuration to half a day last night so it can refresh ips and possibly avoid future conflicts. Ill keep you posted

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918054

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice