1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Intermittent Operation of Windows Media Player

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by damker, Jul 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. damker

damker Thread Starter

First Name:
    Danny
    Hi there pals!
    As of today, I have noticed that my Windows Media Player freezes when I try to play a file, while at other times it plays the file normally without me doing anything. I was wondering if it has to do with any windows updates. I am using a Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit operating system.
    Any ideas?

P.S. Some additional observation; at times the audio plays but the video is frozen. Looking forward to your responses. Thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  2. TOGG

TOGG

Can't help with WMP problems I'm afraid because I haven't used it for years. If you want to check out what I, and others, believe is a superior player, have a look at VLC; https://www.videolan.org

If you decide to try it you will have to make it the default player when you install it and be prepared for WMP to keep popping up offering to play media you select, despite the fact that it's not the default player any more. I got so fed up with that behaviour that I finally uninstalled WMP. One bonus of using VLC is that it doesn't report back to Microsoft about what you've been viewing!

3. damker

damker Thread Starter

First Name:
    Danny
    Thank you TOGG. Much obliged. I've already got VLC and Media Player Classic, but I had just got used to WMP I guess... Thanks again!

4. kenbok51

kenbok51

There is a free app called mediainfo that will show you exactly what types of audio and video are contained within a specific file. I personally have been having issues wit HEVC video and E-AAC audio which I have to convert because they are not supported by my media player connected to my TV. There is also the possibility that you had a bad shutdown which corrupted the player. Using Device Manager to roll back to a previous version and reinstalling the new version might help for corrupt Media player files. Or even reinstalling the version you are using over itself.

5. damker

damker Thread Starter

First Name:
    Danny
    kenbok51 thanks a lot. Useful piece of software! Thanks!

6. kenbok51

kenbok51

You mentioned that you have Media Player Classic. I just wanted to let you know there is a more advanced version called Media Player Classic Home Cinema which I fell in love with. I have tried VLC and wasn't as happy with it as many here seem to be, and MPCHC was just what I was looking for. It plays video and many audio types that the regular WMP doesn't (like flac files). When installing it gives you the ability to choose what types of files to associate with it including the ones Windows Media Player has associated with it. Instead of a huge window with the ability to have trippy visuals play with your wav or wma files, it's a small window with nothing fancy. If you like that stuff, just don't associate those types of files during installation and keep them set to open with WMP or change them back afterwords. All the files you select to associate with MPCHC will have its icon and will be opened by it with a double click.

7. damker

damker Thread Starter

First Name:
    Danny
    Thanks kenbok51! Very interesting information. Much obliged!
    Cheers.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1212958

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice