1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Intermittent WIFI speed issues

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MisterMatic, Jan 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MisterMatic

MisterMatic Thread Starter

Happy New Year!

Please forgive my "noobiness." I've been trying to troubleshoot this issue for a few months now - up to and including the ever-so-unhelpful people at Hewlett Packard (never again).

I typically get around 50 Mbps on my HP Lattitude laptop, when working optimally. However, a lot of the time, the speed drops to anywhere from 1-2 Mbps. This is only on my laptop - there are no speed issues with my girlfriend's laptop, our phones, or my Xbox. The issue is only with my laptop. HP did hardware diagnostics and everything checked out. All drivers are up to date. I'm at a loss as to what the next step would be. Any help from any of you would be...helpful. Thanks!

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD A6-7310 APU with AMD Radeon R4 Graphics, AMD64 Family 22 Model 48 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 7113 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon(TM) R4 Graphics, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 446 GB (179 GB Free); D: 18 GB (2 GB Free);
    Motherboard: HP, 81F5
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

2. MisterMatic

Let me also say that if I plug directly into the router (Infinity), speed leaps up to nearly 100 Mbps. And, oddly, after disconnecting from the cat5, the wireless download speed goes up to around 50 Mbps again...until it drops again after awhile.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're using the latest (Windows 10) wireless driver downloaded from HP's web site?

4. MisterMatic

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Same wireless problem at different spots in your house, apartment, or whatever? Same problems on a different wireless network?

6. MisterMatic

Same wherever I am in the house. Have not tried other networks

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Based on everything you've said it sounds to me that the wireless adapter is likely defective. My next move would be to try on another network and/or try a USB wireless adapter.

8. MisterMatic

This is what I told the helpful technicians from HP, who said that the adapter passed diagnostics. I told them that the issue was intermittent, and they were insistent that there was nothing they could do.

I will try on a different network tomorrow. Thanks

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Power: I tend to forget about power. I also know little about Windows 10 and how much it has been crippled.

Assuming that you can get into Power Options - Advanced Settings check the Wireless Adapter Settings - Power Saving Mode. If either On battery or Plugged in are set to other than "Maximum Performance" change to that and see if it makes a difference.

10. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I assume the laptop is under warranty?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221266

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice