1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Intermittent WIFI / Windows 7 / Dell Laptop

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ElSrLocust, Jan 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElSrLocust

ElSrLocust Thread Starter

Just recently had an issue with intermittent conectivity to my WIFI router with my Dell XPS Laptop / Windows 7 OS. Started right after some Windows 7 updates. I reverted back and restored to previous settings and the problem would go away for a day +/- and then start up again. Would not even connect to the router and give local connectivity. 3 other laptops, 4 iphones, and 2 ipads had no problems connecting at all. I was out of ideas. While searching I came accross this post on Techguy.org (Thread is now closed) but I wanted to reach out to the @Kazanov and let them know I found out the problem and made some changes to the WIFI router that apparantly has fixed the problem. (3 weeks running with no issues). I will post original post at the end of this post.

To fix the problem I changed the CHANNEL on the WIFI router 'FROM AUTO' 'TO Channel 6'. A friend worked on a military base and managed over 100 wifi connections and he said that many times for a reason unknown to either of us, some laptops would not connect to channel 11,12,or 13 and these are the default channels for a WIFI router set to 'AUTO'. Just wanted to come back and post the solution to the post below. And if the Administrator can open the old thread back up and update it so @Kasanov knows the solution that would be great. Here is the original post by @Kasanov which is the exact same problem, computer, OS as I have:

@Kasanov Wrote:
    Intermittent WiFi connection
    I have a dell desktop with Windows 7. One day wifi started working intermittent. I connect to my signal, then after 2-3 minutes it disconnects. Two scenarios:
    1. The icon tray signals all is well. Yet no connection. When I double click at the wireless dash board, it say no internet connection
    2. The icon tray signals an exclamation mark "limited access"

Then it takes several attempts to reconnect and about 3-4 minutes minutes later it reconnects...for just 2-3 minutes again.

I am able to connect to my Linksys router from other computers in my home even while i am having problems with that one computer.

I even tried the wireless adapter with other computers and it seems the problem is not with the adapter.
    I checked for channels interference and it seems there is no conflict.

I am out of ideas.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1036519

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice