1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Intermittent Wireless Connection Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Networking' started by m_r_jackson90, Sep 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. m_r_jackson90

m_r_jackson90 Thread Starter

Hi,

i have a toshiba equium A100-02L Laptop running windows vista home premium and am using a Netgear wireless router supplied by Sky Broadband.

i am currently having intermittent internet connection i.e the internet can connect for anything between 1 min to 2 hours with no problems but more often than not it will disconnect giving me only "local only" connection.

i am also running a xbox 360 on the same router using a ethernet cable connection which again is intermittent. When i test the connection via the xbox it states that there may be a problem with the DNS settings.

Can anyone help its driving me mad!!!!!!!! also i am using the wireless card built into the laptop.

Thanks

2. Shaldares

Shaldares

Have you only tried the wireless connection or have you tried it via ethernet as well? Also, when the connection goes out, try going to your network and sharing center and finding your wireless connection and see if you still have a valid IP address. (Should be something like 192.168.0.1) After that, try repairing the connection and see if it goes through or if it changes the IP address and what it changes it too if it does. Does your 360 run off of wireless as well or ethernet?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Since the XBOX is wired, this is obviously a common element. Those would be the router and the broadband modem. I'd first download the latest firmware for the router and install it. Also, reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure. Also, when this fails, take note of the lights on the router and modem, note any different indications from when it's running normally.

You can test the XBOX or the computer wired directly to the broadband modem to see if you can further isolate the issue.

4. m_r_jackson90

m_r_jackson90 Thread Starter

my router is provided by sky and has a SSid and Key provided (written on the bottom), would upgrading the firmware reset the SSid and Key making it harder for me to setup my wireless network.

also in response to the 1st reply the xbox is connected only via wired ethernet connection

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd talk to Sky about upgrading, since I don't know if that is custom firmware or standard Linksys stuff.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/630541

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice