1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Intermittent Wireless Connectivity Issues

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jimmie123, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jimmie123

jimmie123 Thread Starter

To begin, I apologise if this has been asked/answered previously, I checked several pages of this forum and didn't see it. I'm using a D-Link DIR-625 Rangebooster Wireless N router on my cable wired computer, and a D-Link DWA-542 desktop adaptor card on my wireless comp. Both comps have SP2 installed and the firmware is up to date on the D-Link products. The issue is that my wireless comp loses the wireless signal intermittently, despite being WPA protected. This happens on a regular basis. The physical distance is about 50 feet apart, and there are no walls or obstructions between the router and the wireless comp. I upgraded my phone system so the 2.4 issue isn't the problem. I'm wondering if a "repeater" would solve this issue but prior to spending money, thought I'd see if any you "comp guru's" have any ideas on this. When it's working, the tool tray icon indicates that the signal strength is "low" and that the speed is 300 Mbps. I should also mention that I have a Vonage telephone router hooked up at the "wired" comp. (if this matters). BTW, I use the connection for internet access only, there is no file sharing etc. If you require any other info, please let me know. Currently, what I have to do to correct this problem is unplug the cable modem, D-Link router, and the Vonage router, wait about 10 - 15 seconds, plug everything back in, and the connection is fine (until it goes out again, lol).

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    At 50 feet the signal strength should be good or excellent, certainly not low, for 'N' and for 'G.'

Make sure you have the latest driver from D-Link's web site.

You said there are no obstructions between the router and the "wireless comp." What about obstructions between the router and the adapter's antenna?

Make sure antennas on router and adapter are secure.

Check the orientation of the antennas. The weakest signal from a "stick type" antenna is along its axis.

Have you checked for wireless interference; e.g., from another wireless network on the same or close channel or a 2.4 GHz cordless phone.

3. draceplace

draceplace

Possibly 50 feet is the range for this setup (doesn't seem so)? What happens when you move closer? Are you passing out IPs from the modem? Antennas loose or try pointing different direction..

I would also remove various components to see if one of them is dragging you down.

4. jimmie123

jimmie123 Thread Starter

Thanks to both for your replies. I eliminated the 2.4 Ghz problem when I purchased a new wireless phone system. I will check for updated drivers etc. at the D-Link site, but I think that I have the latest ones. Regarding repositioning the wireless router, it's up high, on a shelf to eliminate obstructions etc, I suppose that I could try to reposition the antennas (there are 2). Are you aware of any tests etc. that could be run to determine why the speed is low? I'm aware of Speedtest.com however, it only calculates the actual speed, and does no testing etc. to determine if it can be increased. Thanks again.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you solve the signal strength issue the speed issue should be taken care of also.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758713

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice