1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Intermittent Wireless Network Connection/Email Problem

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by GingerTX, Jul 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GingerTX

GingerTX Thread Starter

I've got a (brand new) HP Pavilion DV6449 with Vista Home Premium. When I first got it, I could "see" my wireless connection but couldn't connect to it consistently. Other times, I couldn't even see it. The router and service is provided by RioadRunner through Time Warner Cable.

After a two-hour hunt-and-peck session with Time Warner technician in my home, I could get on the net. (Neither one of us was sure how, though.) After they left, I realized that I could not receive email consistently. And now, I cannot see my wireless network at all. I'm back to where I started from.

I have attempted to set up the network manually.
    I have installed and uninstalled Norton.
    I have removed all of the protection I can find.
    I am sure that the network info (WEP, network key, password, etc.) that I am entering are correct.
    HP already had me install and uninstall the network adapter.
    I am sure I have email because I receive it on my old XP puter. (That's what I'm using now.)
    I am sure my router works and that the network is up - I'm using it now on the old machine.

Can anyone explain this on again off again behavior and help me solve the problem? I'm in a small town and my local tech resources (and knowledge base) are very limited when it comes to Vista.

Thanks!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

3. GingerTX

GingerTX Thread Starter

JohnWill:

thanks for the help - but I am experiencing the same symptoms both on AC and battery. I did try the fix at the site you suggested with the same result, I'm afraid.

My puter "sees" some other network running in the apartment building - it's low level and not "my" wireless network. I noticed that it is on a different security system - WPA, not WEP like the one I'm supposed to connect to.

Are there any questions that you would suggest I ask of RoadRunner/Tim Warner that would help me diagnose the problem - or determine what my router wants?

Additionally, what about any other protection built in to Vista that I'm missing? I've turned everything off incl Windows Firewall...

Many thanks!

4. bobjames

bobjames

Ginger ~

Something you might want to try:

- Boot your computer in Safe Mode

- Try accessing the internet and your email.

- If this is successful, reboot your computer normally and try accessing the internet again. If that is successful, then try your email.

Connectivity with Vista has problems. Sometimes by accessing via Safe Mode it sets, or maybe resets, something in the system, which then allows you to access things normally.

If this doesn't work, then you may want to also try unplugging your router for a full minute and then starting it back up and trying it again. I assume the Vista machine was added to the mixture rather than everything being put together at one time. If so, the router may just need to reset.

Hope this helps.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/602171

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice