Intermittent writing problem with DVD drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lula72

I have a dell 4600 running windows XP with a NEC DVD+RW ND-3100AD drive. Its very old, but it works ok. I also have two Toshiba AVI playing DVD players.

For years I have been able to write files to DVD and then watch them on my Toshiba DVD player, but in the last couple of weeks I have a problem which frankly has left me baffled.

I can write files to DVD, they write perfectly and when I look at the disc in my computer all the files are there with the names I gave them and they play fine. When I put the DVD in either of my AVI DVD players the player doesn’t see the files. Sometimes if I put them back in the computer and change the title of the file they will appear on the DVD player, a lot of the time this doesn’t work. Sometimes if I change the name of a file on the computer the computer sees the changed file name, but the DVD player sees the old file name.

It’s annoying because it doesn’t happen all the time, last night I wrote two discs – one which was half full and I wrote about 2GB worth of files to it and they showed up fine on the DVD player and a second disc, also half full, where I wrote one 350mb file and the DVD player can’t see the new file.

This happens with two different writing programs, on different discs both new and old and on two separate DVD players so I can only assume something is wrong with my DVD writer. I’ve checked the drivers are up to date, but I would really appreciate it if anyone can help me figure out what is wrong.

Thanks in advance

Welcome to TSG, Lula72.

.......Sometimes if I put them back in the computer and change the title of the file they will appear on the DVD player....
After burning a disc, you shouldn't be able to change anything, presuming you finalized the disc. If a disc isn't finalized, then most players will not be able to play them. Not sure what program you are using, but look for a finalize (or close) after burn option.

Besides that, you could simply have a bad batch of discs, or it's possible that your dvd drive is failing and needs to be replaced.

lula72

Welcome to TSG, Lula72.

After burning a disc, you shouldn't be able to change anything, presuming you finalized the disc. If a disc isn't finalized, then most players will not be able to play them. Not sure what program you are using, but look for a finalize (or close) after burn option.

Besides that, you could simply have a bad batch of discs, or it's possible that your dvd drive is failing and needs to be replaced.
I'm using the DVD drive the same way I've always used it - I've always been able to write some files to a disc, view them on my DVD player and then go back and write more files to the disc and they still play on my DVD player. The problem isn't that the files aren't being written, the files are visible when I look at the disc on my computer, its just that the player doesn't always see them and it happens on both old and new discs. I guess my DVD drive must be failing and maybe its time for a replacement.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online