internal cache?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Big J

I successfully loaded XP the other day, but unfortunately it took me about 12 hrs. Literally. I figured out through trial and error, that if I didn't turn off the internal cache from cmos, the computer would give me all these different stop errors when I tried to boot the xp setup cd. So I turned off the internal cache and it works now, but its VERY slow. However, when I turn the cache back on, when it loads the hard drive, the screen goes blank with this white horizontal bar across the bottom. I have no-idea what the deal is. So is there any suggestions on how to fix this problem?
Here are my system specs:

Athlon 1.4
Biostar M7VIB
512 DDR
Radeon dual-display 32mb
Western Digital 40GB
40x cd-rom

btw, I have transfered my hard drive to my older computer and loaded xp succesfully, so I don't think thats the problem. I've also used different ram and a different cd player.

Thanks in advance

Big J

Well, I installed the 4-in-1 chipset drivers and the bios upgrades from Biostar and still no go. It does the exact same thing: if the internal cache is on, it just gives me a blank screen with a horizontal bar at the bottom. If its off, it loads xp at a ridiculously slow rate. I guess the next logical step would be to buy a new motherboard or load Win 98 and try upgrading from there, but both involve spending more cash which I'm slowly running out of (I don't have another operating system, btw). Any other possible solutions?

crjdriver

Well I am about out of ideas. The only thing that I could think of to try would be to take your hd and hook it up to the old computer load xp [but do not load any special mb drivers] take the hd out and put it in the new computer and see if you can get it to boot up that way. It’s not a great idea so maybe someone else could suggest another method of loading xp.

It could be the processor cache is bad
Try removing one of the memory modules, try it with only 256

crjdriver

Just an idea; have you tried removing everything except one hd, one memory stick, and the video card while trying to load the os?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online