internal cd writer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dlawre

IF I BUY A INTERNAL CD WRITER CAN I USE MY EXISTING CD PORT OR DO I HAVE TO HAVE ANOTHER CD PORT TO LOAD MY DISKS.
I HAVE NOT GOT ENOUH ROOM IF I NEED ANOTHER AND MAY HAVE TO BUY AN EXTERNAL ONE.:confused:

Almost all computers have dual ide channels. Each channel can support up to two drives. So you can have a total of 4 devices connected to the ide channels. The primary channel always has the hard drive connected as master, it also has a position for a slave drive to be connected to the same port and cable.
The secondary channel also will allow two devices, one master, one slave attached to it. The master slave designation is determined on the piece of hardware you install by the jumpers that are on the back of the hardware.

The floppy Fdd connector can only be used to connect one floppy drive.

Please get rid of the caps lock key, makes it hard to read the post

On the off chance your question is whether or not it will fit in the bay that your CD-ROM now fills, the answer is yes.

Most state of the art burners will substitute as a 40X CD-ROM drive, so the one device will do everything the old CD-ROM will do plus record. You lose the ability to record directly from one to the other, but it isn’t that hard to use the one device to record via the hard drive.

Avoid getting an external unit if you can. SCSI and Firewire units are expensive – especially if you don’t have the card. USB units are slow.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online