1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internal Drive converted to External Drive not recognised.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CambridgeSarah, Feb 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CambridgeSarah

CambridgeSarah Thread Starter

Hi all

I had an old laptop that died by water damage, its OS was Vista. I removed its internal hard drive as it contains valuable photos. I read that you can convert internal hard drives into external USB ones so I purchased the necessary 2.5" sata case from ebay, put it all together and plugged it into my new Windows 10 laptop. The new laptop does not want to acknowledge the drive. I changed the drive letter to one that wasn't used, 'M' in this case, it shows as Drive M on my file manager but when I click on it it only asks me to put a disk into the drive. I have run a couple of scanning programs on it, Stellar Phoenix data recovery and Recuva with no luck. I do not want to lose the data that was on there so can anyone help with any solutions?
    Many thanks!!
    Sarah

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Does it show in disk management and if so what is it shown as please regarding capacity and file system

Try connecting it to another usb port
    If the new laptop has usb 3.0 and usb 2.0 usually indicated by usb 3.0 being blue colour or marked 3 or SS - super speed
    and other usb ports are black or not so marked try one of those.

3. CambridgeSarah

Hi thanks for replying, I should have clarified that the sata case states its USB3.0 with a blue lead, I have plugged it into both the 3.0 and 2.o ports directly and via seperate hubs in both ports, although plugged directly in a 3.0 hub it appears to be connecting and disconnecting every 10 seconds or so.

The disk manager says the 'M' drive has no media, I have uploaded a screengrab below. Thanks.

Attached Files:

• m.jpg
      m.jpg
      File size:
      238 KB
      Views:
  4. Macboatmaster

see what diskpart says

cmd prompt with admin rights
    type

diskpart
    wait for it to load
    then type
    list disk

if it finds it identify it by its number in diskpart they are numbered as letters are only of course a windows feature

type
    select disk 3 (not of course meaning it will be 3)

then type
    detail disk

5. CambridgeSarah

Ok we're going into my limits with techy stuff, I have posted another screengrab, tell me if I did it right, I typed select disk 2 in this case. Thanks!

Attached Files:

• m2.jpg
      m2.jpg
      File size:
      254.2 KB
      Views:
  6. Macboatmaster

Can you detect the disk spinning in the enclosure - if not it is likely if not a connection fault that the drive 0r the connection in the enclosure is bad
    If so try this
    shut down
    disconnect usb
    power on
    hotplug usb

see if it sees anything different
    what is shown in device manager for the disk

It could be the drive itself
    It could be that the case you have bought - some of the cheaper ones on ebay are a real no go
    DO NOT connect it to a hub that has even less chance of working.

What MAY work is if it was connected data and sata power inside a computer but I do not suggest you try that on your new 10 laptop even if there is a connection for SATA available.

In effect the computer is seeing the enclosure as it would IF there was not even a drive inside it

7. CambridgeSarah

Hi, I have shut down and hotplug reconnected, I cannot hear anything from the drive but a little blue light on it is on, its either very quiet or not spinning at all. If I plug it direct into usb3.0 it is disconnecting and reconnecting every 5-10 seconds.

Device manager sees it as 'generic external usb device'. I have tried 'update drivers' on it which are already installed, the properties say it is 'working properly'.

If its the sata case, would another type of enclosure need to be bought?

8. Macboatmaster

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  9. CambridgeSarah

I have connected it directly into the usb 2.0 port and it is not disconnecting/reconnecting. Although the same non-response remains, File Manager seems to see drive 'M' has been plugged in but asks me to insert a disk when clicking on it.

Heres a link to the same case as the one I bought; www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-USB-3-0-2-5-inch-SATA-External-Hard-Drive-Mobile-Disk-HD-Enclosure-Box-S-/282225621494?var=&hash=item41b5f539f6:m:mEnEZ68p6sjB-uQFe-9z12w

I have one blue 3.0 lead and I have another lead with 2 usb's on one end, I think its called a Y lead

10. Macboatmaster

Have you tried the Y lead although on the link it does not mention that - at least as far as I could see
    Any chance you have a friend/colleague/neighbour who could try a spare 2.5 they may have in that enclosure and see if their drive is seen
    That would be the acid test of the enclosure

All I can say is it is not a purchase I would have made - an unnamed product from Malaysia
    In fact to be honest although I have made the suggestion above re trying with another drive - I would not even connect it to my computer

I apologise for being blunt but there is no nice way to say I view it as rubbish

11. CambridgeSarah

Hi I just connected it with the Y lead too, the double end in each usb port and the other in the drive. Same as beore with no indication the disk is turning.
    I gathered it is rubbish but thankfully hardly a loss at a few quid. I do not have a friend with a similar setup to check the case.
    Are there other solutions to getting the data off the drive?

12. Macboatmaster

Until we can get the drive seen there are really no avenues open
    If the drive was seen but shown as RAW for instance then that often means that the file system is corrupt and cannot be read by Windows.
    Sometimes that is simple in using a third party program to repair the file system -that is not a chkdsk in windows as windows will not check a file system it considers to be raw - but some third party software

However without the drive being seen - with whatever apparent error on it progress is limited

I know you say you do not have anyone with a similar setup - it is however worthwhile trying connecting to another computer especially if you can find someone with an older OS than 10

Do you have a local computer shop who for a small cost would simply connect it internally to a test computer and tell you if it is recognised
    This could be cheaper than buying a more reliable enclosure and then finding out it is the drive.

Have you checked the cleanliness of the sata connections on the drive.

As I have said, if the drive was seen progress is possible - to show you what I mean - take the drive out of the enclosure and connect just the enclosure you will I am sure get the exact same result as you do now

13. CambridgeSarah

What third party software do you recommend that would repair the file system?
    I have tried to plug into a cybercafe machine that was windows 8 but it too would not access the disk. I have checked the enclosure connections cleanliness, as far as I can see there is nothing untoward that stands out. What more reliable enclosure should I be looking for if I cannot repair the file system? I do not know the quality of them that differ. Thanks!

14. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

If the data is really important, get it to a drive recovery service. Software tools can't fix water damage.

15. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1185033

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice