1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internal drive from tower turned external...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zombiefelicia, Nov 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zombiefelicia

zombiefelicia Thread Starter

So, what can I do with it?

I'm trying to free up space on it so that I can use it as a backup/storage device for my laptop.

Can I delete all of the previous OS files off it? It ran vista...I am also not sure of where to find the files since I really never got a chance to explore Vista before I got a new computer with 7.

Also, it's partitioned. I've got the primary which is 456 GB, and a 9.5 GB "Factory Image Drive" which has recovery files in it from the old PC.

Can I clear that out?

I've already put a backup of my new computer on the old hard drive. so, I'm running out of space. I've got 55GB free. I was thinking of getting rid of the last backup to make room for the new, but I'm not sure I want to clear out my only backup right before I do a new one.

So, my main questions are; what can I do with this external drive? what can I delete? how can I optimize the extra space I have with this thing?

Thanks in advance!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I'd copy all the data that you want to keep off the drive then delete all the partitions off it and reformat it as a single partition. You can delete the partitions using Disk Management, to open it right click on Computer and select Manager or type DISKMGMT.MSC in the search/run box. Then right click on the external drive and choose Delete Volume until all the partitions are gone then choose Create Volume. Once you create and format the new partition,m copy the data you want to backup onto the drive.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028656

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice