Internal drive not recognized/password not recognized

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Elviza

Hello all. It has been a while since I've needed help but my run of luck has hit an ugly downturn. Moved my computer three weeks ago and had not plugged it all back together till last night. All these years I had used it without a password to log in but a few months back a tech friend expressed horror at this so I started using one. Last night no matter what I did it wouldn't let me log in, saying incorrect password. Today as I messed around again I went through the steps of asking it to reset password (even though I didn't have disc for reset) and realized it does not seem to be recognizing my internal drive. If one of my externals are on they come up but if I turn off externals I get a bubble that says 'No Drive. This feature requires removable media etc.' My drive seems to be running and the Windows logos do appear during boot. My keyboard seems to be functioning to type password, but when I hit F8 while rebooting I get no reaction, so cannot boot to safe mode, just goes right back to log in page. I have had mold/moisture issues in this new house but have had a dehumidifier running since just a few days after computer arrived here. However I do see some evidence of mold or dust in the case, not a lot but some. Not sure what the root of this problem is but I am trying hard not to panic. Any ideas?

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
Your tech. friend may have mis-understood when you need a password.
If you are at home and only you and you trusted family have access to you computer, there is no need whatsoever for a logon password.
The only time I have ever needed one is when I was using my own laptop on clients site when I was contracting and I would leave it on the desk over lunch.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online