Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

internal/external zip drive

794 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Servant1975 
#1 ·
I have an e machines T2042 with 2GHz and 40 GB hard drive. It came with a dvd drive and a cd rw. My brother-in-law has an extra internal zip drive (don't know details) that he can give me but I don't has any extra space. Can I use it externally and what would I need. He has offered to modify my case, but he is a high schooler who thinks he knows more than he really does.
thanx

#2 ·
The internal ones use an IDR (40 core flat cable) interface. Plus a power cable.

External ones use USB normally (a small 4 core cable) and use a power adapter

Its very messy to try and run an IDE cable and Drive power supply externally. Its possible but my advice is, dont?

#3 ·
Originally posted by Servant1975:
I have an e machines T2042 with 2GHz and 40 GB hard drive. It came with a dvd drive and a cd rw. My brother-in-law has an extra internal zip drive (don't know details) that he can give me but I don't has any extra space. Can I use it externally and what would I need. He has offered to modify my case, but he is a high schooler who thinks he knows more than he really does.
thanx
The question is why do you need it? Zip drives only give you what, a hundred megs or soi? You can fit a lot more on a CD. You've got a CD RW (I assume you mean it writes), so use that for backing up or transferring data.

#4 ·
Us Cad people need them for transporting large files when our nasty IT people won't install a CD-RW in our machine. We're luckt to have paper clips. Question can you run your files from CD-RW disk or do you have to load onto your pc first?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.