1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internal Hard Disk Drive not found... After replaced!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Drjones87, Mar 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Drjones87

Drjones87 Thread Starter

So lo and behold this morning I found my internal hard drive disk was not working. I ran the pre boot diagnostics and everything else was working fine. I went to best buy and got another hard drive (1 TB SATA drive) and switched the old one with the new one. The computer still won't boot, but now the pre boot diagnostics recognizes the drive is present and says it's working fine. Any ideas?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You need to install Windows on the new drive before it will boot.

3. Drjones87

Drjones87 Thread Starter

Even though it's still the same error message?

4. Drjones87

Drjones87 Thread Starter

I just wanted to make sure I am not missing anything else before I go buy it.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What's the exact error message you are seeing? A picture would be very helpful.

But your computer is going to do nothing without an operating system, it will give you a no boot disc found type of message because it has nothing to boot.

And buy what? Did you computer not come with an operating system? Is there no sticker on the side of the computer for Windows> Did you receive or make a set of recovery discs for the computer when it was purchased?

It would also help to post the exact make and model of the computer. If you have no discs then you can usually order a set from the manufacturer for a tiny fraction of the cost of buying a new copy of Windows.

6. Drjones87

Drjones87 Thread Starter

I'll have to ask my wife where the disks are if we still have them (we moved recently). I can't give you a picture, but the exact text is "internal hard disk drive not found, to resolve try to reseat the drive, no bootable devices". It would make sense that you have to have an OS first, this is my first time repairing a hard drive and I never thought about that, so I appreciate it. The computer is two years and a month old (the warranty literally just expired) and it has been a frustrating day, but you have been very helpful and I really appreciate it.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What about the make and model of the computer? Is it an HP, Acer, Dell, etc? Usually if it's a big box brand the info will be on the front or side of the computer.

Have you verified that the SATA and Power Cables are securely plugged into the drive? And that the SATA cable is securely plugged into the motherboard? If you go into the BIOS setup does it list the new drive under the drives section and under the boot order? You don't have a USB stick or USB hard drive connected as well do you?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144480

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice