1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internal hard disk drive not found - PLEASE HELP!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by eilatancf, Nov 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eilatancf

eilatancf Thread Starter

Oh boy. Somewhere between the time I posted tonight about my computer running slow and now, my computer has completely failed me.

It's a Dell Inspiron 9300. About 4 years old. Without finding a way into it, I can't tell you much else. The only thing I downloaded today was HJT so I could post a log on the other thread I have up.

I fell asleep on the couch, and when I awoke, there was a lovely blue screen with some gibberish about "if this is the first time you have seen this screen, restart" and when I did...BLACK SCREEN and this horrendous clicking noise coming from the lower right-hand side of the unit. I should also mention the unit was so hot to the touch I nearly burned myself. Literally. It's gotten hot before, but this was honestly stove-top burner hot.

The message is "internal hard disk drive not found" press f1 to continue or f2 to...something. F1 gets me back to the same black screen. F2 gets me to bios where it confirms I no longer have an internal hard drive.

The good news is I have an external harddrive backup. The bad news is it was last backed up on 9/10 and I've done at least 20 jobs since then (graphic design) and three in progress with in-hand dates of less than 5 days from now. I'm just sick. AND I KNOW BETTER!

Anyway, is it really toast?! Help!
    Natalie

2. cgullett

cgullett

Yeah 4 years out of a Hard Drive is actually very good. There are a couple ways to retrieve the data. It just depends on how important it is. If it is very very important ($2500 important) than locate a data recovery center.

3. Smartguy01

Smartguy01

First Name:
    Ivan
    Your symptoms are pointing to this:
    1. Your hard drive is completely BURNED
    2. Your CPU overheated

Honestly, i think it's the first one, but try installing some other operative system, like linux unbuntu , they are started and running from a CD, so that if you have a burned up hard drive not much can be backuped from it.

I would suggest buying a new one, and/or opening your computer to see if anything is "melted" inside it.

Regrads, Smartguy01

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Natalie:

Laptop hard drives generally don't last as long as desktop hard drives do because they're more fragile and take abuse from the laptop being moved around and bumped. I've had 2 laptops and didn't get more than 3 years use before the hard drive failed. A clicking or tick-tock sound is a pretty sure sign that the hard drive has failed and needs to be replaced.

Once the hard drive is replaced, have a fresh install of Windows XP done with an actually Windows XP CD. This prevents all the Dell-related crap and original bloatware from being reloaded.

------------------------------------------------------------------

If the exhaust fan in a laptop fails, the processor will over-heat and shut down the laptop. You need to be careful where you set down and use a laptop. Using a soft surface causes the vents to be blocked and not allow the hot air to be exhausted properly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/774470

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice