1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internal Hard disk Problem, PLEASE HELP !!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ZeeAniMus, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ZeeAniMus

ZeeAniMus Thread Starter

I'm running on Vista 32 bit home basic and have been using this hard disk for almost 4 yrs now.... I use it to store movies, movies and all the other entertainment files including games...

Today I had a problem of BOOT.MGR missing and I fixed it with my Vista installation disc...
    Everything is back to normal, but when I open My computer my drive [ entertainment (D:) ] is not shown or missing completely...
    I tried to go to disk management but it doesn't show there either... It's like it doesn't exist...

Please help ASAP
    :(

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Basic , Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2044 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4850, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 70737 MB, Free - 22306 MB; E: Total - 81886 MB, Free - 26947 MB;
    Motherboard: Intel Corporation, D945GCNL, AAD97184-105, BTNL803009CU
    Antivirus: Kaspersky Internet Security, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Is this a separate physical drive OR do you have a single drive with multiple partitions?

3. ZeeAniMus

ZeeAniMus Thread Starter

This is a separate drive... 500 GB with no partitions.....

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

It looks like the drive died. All drives will fail. That is why we are so good about keeping evrything backed up.

All drives have partitions or they can't be used. A drive with no partitions is empty.

If your drive does not appear in explorer, it is because it has no drive letter. If the drive does not appear in Device Manager, then it has most likely failed.

Check to see if it appears in BIOS.

If it is still under warranty, you may be able to get it replaced.

5. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

First thing to do is physically check the drive. Make sure power is getting to the drive, make sure all connectors are connected. Touch the drive to make sure it is spinning. You should feel the slight vibration. See if you can find it in the BIOS.

You might also try loading a Linux Live distro using either a CD/DVD or a USB drive and see if that distro finds it.

Much too soon to conclude the drive has failed completely, though of course it may have. Go through all the steps first and see if it appears.

6. ZeeAniMus

ZeeAniMus Thread Starter

How do I check it in BIOS???

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First read your manual regarding bios menus, key combo for access, etc. Enter the bios and see if your drive is listed. Prior to doing this [system OFF] open the case and reseat both the data and pw connectors. Pw ON and enter the bios.

8. ZeeAniMus

ZeeAniMus Thread Starter

Yes it shows it's listed in bios....

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Post a screenshot of disk management. To get to disk management, Start>Run and type in "diskmgmt.msc" without quotes and hit enter. Post the screenshot here.

10. ZeeAniMus

ZeeAniMus Thread Starter

Was out of town for a few days hence could not post. screen shots enclosed

11. ZeeAniMus

ZeeAniMus Thread Starter

12. ZeeAniMus

ZeeAniMus Thread Starter

Ok How do I post screen shots???? O_O

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

With the relevant window open, hit the "PrtScr" key. Now open a file viewer like irfanview. Click edit>paste and save the image as a jpeg. Upload here.

14. ZeeAniMus

ZeeAniMus Thread Starter

Yes ... I did all that but having trouble uploading it here

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is pretty simple; just hit the advanced button at the bottom. Now click the manage attachments button; another window opens and you just point it at where you saved the file. Done.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024542

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice