Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Internal Hard Drive in External Enclosure Problems

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  mrredskin 
#1 ·
I've got an internal 200gb seagate hard drive that i'm putting into an enclosure and running it via usb. what location do I need to have that little jumper in if this is how you are looking at the drive if I just want to use it as extra storage? :

::::::::::::::::::: :::: ****

it is currently in the second position-> ::::

edit: do i need to format the drive, first?

#3 ·
as far as i know the main hdd is set as master. i have removed the jumper so the external is definitely set as the slave. i'm getting no recognition of the hard drive now, however. i hear the USB connection chime in when i turn on the external but nothing pops up nor is anything new shown in under 'hard disk drives' or 'devices with removable storage' in My Computer.

#4 ·
You MUST set the hard drive in the external enclosure as the master. The jumper setting has no relationship to the one for the internal drive.

#6 ·
Thanks, John. I did that. It shows up in Device Manager, now.

bonk: I ran that and it shows up as Disk 1 (Disk 0 is my laptop hard drive and shows as 'online'). Also shows it is unknown, 232.88 GB (250 GB hdd, not 200) and that it is 'not initialized'. Says 232.88 unallocated.

do i need to initialize the disk, now?

#7 ·
I could pretty much forget about the jumper setting once I put a hard drive in "cable select".

All my hard disks are in caddies and I screwed 3 the mobile rack to external enclosures to enable all my disks to work either as internal or external units.

As an example I have Just done a back up for the daughter's 80Gb internal 2.5" hard drive (for a new Laptop) with a brand new raw 400Gb 3.5" external disk, again set to "cable select".

I used Linux dd command and so the disk didn't need any partition created or formatting and was plugged in directly after the purchase. The data has since been retored onto her new HP laptop which got a 120Gb hard drive.

In conclusion "cable select" seems to works fine in everyone of my 30+ hard disks.

#10 ·
Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Disk Management. Right click on the big grey disk and partition and format it.

If you can't get that far, click on the left legend and select Initialize first, then the options to partition and format will be available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.