1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internal hard drive problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FLLJRII, Oct 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FLLJRII

FLLJRII Thread Starter

Have a Dell 6000, daughter had it and has no idea what might have went wrong. She indicates it gets is starts up and says "internal hard drive error" Had her send it to me replaced the hard drive and still the same error. Booted a diagnostic CD and it indicates there is no hard drive present. Any suggestions?

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Did you change the cables to the Hard drive?

3. FLLJRII

FLLJRII Thread Starter

No haven't replaced any cables. It is a laptop and not comfortable opening the case.

4. bonk

bonk Banned

Have you Partitioned and formatted it.......

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

I would reset bios defaults to give option to find the new drive, something Dell's don't do well by themselves. Then make sure bios is designating the new drive. If the bios doesn't see it, then it's a mobo problem most likely.

6. FLLJRII

FLLJRII Thread Starter

Thanks Rich I will attempt that when I get back to it. Your opinion about replacing that mother board. Because it is a Dell will I be forced to go through them or can I get a compatible mobo? Is it worth the time, money and aggravation?

7. FLLJRII

FLLJRII Thread Starter

Thanks Bonk I will follow up with Rich's suggestion first, if hard drive is there I will format, partition, etc.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Replacing a Dell motherboard is impossible with any other because they use proprietary plugs for power to prevent that and when you see what they charge for a mobo, you will definitely buy new laptop for less...

9. FLLJRII

FLLJRII Thread Starter

Rich I went to the BIOS set the default and still indicates Hard drive problem. Went back to BIOS and still indicates no hard drive present. Trash it?????

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

One thing I forgot to suggest is did you trya nother ide cable? If yes then the board is "toast".

11. FLLJRII

FLLJRII Thread Starter

Rich let me ask from your experience first, this is a laptop and my experience disassembling them is limited to none. Desk top no prob but the laptop is another story. Anyway, do you know where I might be able to get material to disassemble this particular laptop. Also will I be looking at the ide cable to replace?

12. FLLJRII

FLLJRII Thread Starter

Rich I hope this could give you a little clarity to my problem with this laptop. I ran a PC Diag disk which indicates problems in the parallel and serial ports indicates no are present, in addition to no hard drive present. Still looking at IDE cable or more issues?

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

No I forgot was a laptop sorry when I suggested ide cable...this has to be a motherboard problem then.

14. FLLJRII

FLLJRII Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help Rich

15. Rich-M

Rich-M

Welcome...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/511186

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice