1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internal hard drive via USB: Please format?!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by koop, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. koop

koop Thread Starter

Hey,

I got the following problem, and I really hope one of you got an answer for that:

A few days ago my PC died, and I suspect the mainboard. It still got warranty, so it's not that bad.
    But: There's data from work on the hard drive that I need as soon as possible to finish a project.

So I borrowed from work such a "hard drive to USB docking station" (picture).
    I took the hard drive out of the PC, put it in the docking station and plugged the USB to my laptop.
    Now Windows explorer tells me: Hey, in order to use that hard drive, we have to format it.

As you can imaging: That's something that I'd like to avoid :)

As far as I remember, on the hard drive there should be 2 partitions, one to recover the system, the other one is C:\
    On C:\ I guess it's a normal NTFS system, including Windows 7 64bit. So I think the Windows 7 on my laptop should be able to work with that.

If I check the drive in the disk management (Don't know if that's the actual name in English, I got a German Win7) it shows me only one partition for this drive: 1863 GB RAW

Does anyone have an idea how I could access the data from the hard drive in order to copy it to the laptop?
    Thank you in advance.

2. rasec2012

rasec2012

well man thats good problem you have there, basically it appears that when your board dies it corrupt your hdd and when you plug it via usb to your laptop the system identifies the problem, so in order to fix it you have to format it in NFTS mode!!!!!! SORRY TO TELL YOU THIS BUT ITS TRUE

3. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

Woah woah wait, that's really bad advice!

There are tools available that can recover corrupted partitions.

Thankfully I've never had to use any so I can't recommend a specific one (maybe somebody else can). But many are free, just look on google.

If the data is valuable and you can't recover it, there are professional services that will do this for you.

As a last resort, as rasec2012 said, a reformat would probably make the drive usable again but it would remove all the data on it.

Edit: "RAW" just means unformatted. For whatever reason the partition tables etc have been corrupted so it thinks there's no partitions. Your data is most likely still intact on the drive and you just need to recover it.

4. raybro

raybro

I suggest you give Ubuntu a shot. Click here to go to a site that will instruct you in creating a bootable flash drive which will then allow you to boot into Ubuntu. Simple and easy to use.

I've saved a lot of data this way.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085918

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice