1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internal HDD HARD error! msg on booting Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xpsolutions, May 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xpsolutions

xpsolutions Thread Starter

Laptop is a Dell Inspiron 9300. Was working fine and today on booting, it came up with the message
    'Internal HDD HARD error' Strike F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility....

Going into bios does not show me any devices present nor Hard disk or Dvd Rom.
    Even after setting DVDDrive as the first boot device, it does NOT do that but goes to the same message
    'Internal HDD HARD error' and sits there.

Any advice?
    if the Harddisk is toast then why wouldn't it boot from DVDROM as I now set it to do that?
    Why are all devices are not shown as Present in bios?
    Could this be the motherboard is toast and maybe not the harddisk?

Thank you all in advance.

2. Gr3iz

Gr3iz Mark

If you remove the HDD from the system, does the DVD drive show up in BIOS? Can you boot from it?

3. xpsolutions

Even without a harddrive it did not make any difference. No drive in bios is present.

4. Megabite

Megabite

It doesn't sound good.......did you notice anything else odd before this happened?

5. xpsolutions

According to my friend who uses this laptop, nothing odd as it was working fine day earlier.

6. Megabite

Megabite

You can take out the HDD and put it in an 2.5 Enclosure and hook it to another PC through USB and see if the drive is OK.
    Sounds like the data info for the drives is faulty.....this PC is about 5 years old is it?

7. xpsolutions

Yes it is about 5yrs old

8. Megabite

Megabite

I would try the Hard drive as I suggested......it could be the HDD and other drive went sometime but I doubt it.

9. xpsolutions

Will try that soon as I find a 2.5 enclosure but what if the HDD is okay, would it be something wrong with motherboard?

10. Megabite

Megabite

Yes I would think the MB.....unless the connection inside has come loose......you could try and remove all the memory and start the PC and see what happens

11. xpsolutions

Thanks Megabite for all your advise. I tried all that with no success. This one has served its time. I think its time for another computer as I think its not worth time and money to replace the motherboard. Thanks once again.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/922570