1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internal microphone question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gatekeepernorth, Aug 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gatekeepernorth

gatekeepernorth Thread Starter

Hello all, How would I remove or disable the internal microphone on an HP dc7700 (motherboard "basswood u8e").

Am concerned that big brother, (at work) can listen in to office conversations through our T1 connection, using the communicator part of Office 97.

Thanks in advance

2. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    This is a desktop PC. What makes you think there is an internal microphone? I see a microphone jack, but unless there is something plugged into that, I don't believe you've got anything to worry about ...

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    What makes you believe that the computer has a built-in microphone?

The short version of the computer specifications do not mention a built-in microphone.
    http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/pcperipherals/0,39051163,39271722p,00.htm

There is nothing in the motherboard specifications about an internal microphone.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00748726&dlc=en

EDIT: Gr3iz beat me by two minutes. You can use the links above to confirm what they said. FWiW, it is probably possible for someone to have done a hardware hack on the computer and put in a microphone.

4. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

Lot easier to bug the phone or put a pinhole camera and mike in the overhead.

5. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    I'm not paranoid! They really are after me! ;-)

6. gatekeepernorth

There has to be a built in mic....as I can click on a telephone icon within communicator and have a voice conversation with other guys within my organization. (off site).

My employer provides all hardware and uses its own XP "image". All data is filtered through corporate servers on T1 lines.

Not normally paranoid, but found it rather spooky when "playing" with the communicator "phone"

This communication is not being conducted on any of the above.

7. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Can you see anything plugged into the microphone jack? There are apparently two of them, one on the front and one in the rear. Often there are microphones built into Web cams, too.

8. gatekeepernorth

No, nothing is plugged in. I believe myself to be fairly computer savvy...have done my own research and couldn't find anything about the microphone either.

Have taken all the components out to get a clear view of the mother board, guess I'm not savvy enough to recognize what a mic would look like.

Would a picture of the board help at all??

9. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    In the second link that Chuck included earlier, if you scroll down to the motherboard layout and photo, the yellow connector in the lower left-hand corner is for the front panel audio connectors. This would be the only place to tie in to the sound system without plugging into the external jacks.

10. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Is there anyone in your organization that you can trust to help you on this? If so, you could maybe try starting an on-line conversation and then jingle some keys while moving them around different locations on the computer. The other person can tell you if you are closer or further from the microphone. Tapping different spots on the computer case with a pencil may help as well.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/849392

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice