1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internal modem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ShirleyMac99, Jan 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ShirleyMac99

ShirleyMac99 Thread Starter

Hey, hope someone can help.
    I'm trying to install a Lucent LT Win modem on my pc running Windows 98. It came with the pc and was running okay until after I reinstalled the operating system. I'm able to install the modem and when I reboot, it automatically detects the hardware. But I'm unable to get a dial tone when I try to use it.
    I believe it's suppose to use a virtual port - how do I get this?

Please help,

Shirley

2. aiball

aiball

hi,

is it a netcomm 56k modem, if so then you have to canel the hardware detection and run its own setup file. This is what i did and it fixed my problem of it not working.

Hope this helps

Aiball
    :)

3. ShirleyMac99

How can I tell if it's a Netcomm modem?
    I do select to detect my own hardware but after installing the driver and rebooting, a message pops up that it detected new hardware. But it STILL doesn't work. What am I doing wrong? :confused:

4. aiball

aiball

Hey,

i'm not 100% sure but my netcomm modem uses the same chip Lucent. What i did was remove the modem from device manager and removed the last thing on the device list (modem enumerator). After a restart windows should detect a modem. Cancel the window that comes up and then run its own setup file.
    This should work. Or else if you have an onboard modem then you must disable it in bios

By the way what windows are u running at the moment?

Later
    Aiball

5. ezymony

ezymony

if its a win modem windows will detect and install it if the drivers are installed try plugging a telephone in the phone jack on the back of the computer on the modem see if you get a dial tone if not the modem might be bad.

6. ShirleyMac99

aiball,
    I did what you said: I removed the modem in hardware devices but didn't find anything called modem enumerator. I rebooted the pc and a message pops up stating that new hardware is detected and the software is being loaded - but it doesn't give me an option to cancel it though.
    It's not an onboard modem and I'm running Windows 98 on that computer.
    Any other suggestions?
    :rolleyes:

7. aiball

aiball

Hello,
    hmm i see, i guess this has stumped me... No what i'm saying is that do you have a seperate inboard modem with your motherboard if so you need to disable it.

I give up

Aiball

8. ShirleyMac99

EZYMONY

It took me awhile...but I connected my phone to the modem's "phone" jack and I did get a dial tone.
    The modem I believe is working - the software's not.

9. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi Shirley, just because you get a dial tone, doesn't necessarily mean the modem is working.....all it's doing is acting as a pass thru from the line in from the wall to your telephone that you've plugged into it.

Perhaps post a listing of your IRQs:

Start button, run, then type msinfo32 and hit ok....go to hardware, IRQs, edit, select all, edit, copy and come back and paste.

10. pauld63

pauld63

I had a very simular experience several months ago with an internal modem. After several days of going around in circles, I finally changed the interrupt or gave it an interrupt and it worked. I believe it was sharing an interrupt. This was pulling one modem out and replacing it with another. It was auto detected, but showed not to be working in Device Mgr.

11. ezymony

ezymony

try going to device manager see if you have any yellow signs beside the modem icon

12. ShirleyMac99

AcaCandy:

0 System timer
    1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    2 Programmable interrupt controller
    3 Communications Port (COM2)
    4 Lucent Win Modem #2
    5 Crystal PnP Audio System CODEC
    6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    7 Printer Port (LPT1)
    8 System CMOS/real time clock
    9 Crystal PnP Audio System MPU-401 Compatible
    10 (free)
    11 ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller
    11 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
    13 Numeric data processor
    14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    14 ALi M5229 PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
    15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    15 ALi M5229 PCI Bus Master IDE Controller

Here are the IRQ's....I did make sure that the modem didn't conflict with any others.

Pauld63: I am going to change the IRQ right now to #10 - I have my fingers crossed.

13. ShirleyMac99

No, there are no yellow signs next to the modem.
    I did realize though that everytime I install the modem, it adds Lucent Modem and Lucent Modem #2. Is this suppose to happen?

14. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Try booting into safemode and removing both modems. Then restart the computer.....Only one mode should be found.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65796

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice