1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internal Power Error

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by rodmike9, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rodmike9

rodmike9 Thread Starter

I am receiving an "Internal Power Error" when attempting to hibernate my pc.[COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important][/COLOR][/COLOR] This error does not occur when sleeping or powering off the pc.[COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important][/COLOR][/COLOR]

I have reinstalled the [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]Windows [COLOR=blue ! important]7 [/COLOR][COLOR=blue ! important]software[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] and the problem continues....

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just moved and am supposed to start work tomorrow from home (via my computer[​IMG]

kind regards,

Michael

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Sounds like a hardware error, are you getting a BSOD?

Is this a laptop or a desktop? Could be a drive related issue since Hibernation saves to the disk.

How much ram is installed, and is the system an off-the shelf one, an upgrade, or self-built?

You might have a Power supply problem, or perhaps a graphics card consuming more power than the PSU can supply.

Try minimizing the power load on the system by removing any unnecessary external devices and test.

Upload any minidumps you have:

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
    2 > navigate to c:\windows\minidump and copy the last few minidump files to that folder. *this assumes 'c' is your boot drive, if it is not, subsitute accordingly
    3 > close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.
    4 > use the "manage attachments" in the "advanced" reply window to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

If you do not see any minidumps, be sure you are not using any cache cleaner such as CCleaner. Also run sysdm.cpl and select Advanced > Startup and Recovery. Make sure "small memory dump" is the one chosen under "write debugging information" and the location should be %systemroot%\minidump

Since almost all bugchecks can be caused by faulty ram, I would recommend you perform memory tests.

On Vista and Win7 you can run mdsched.exe -- once rebooted to the scanner press F1 for Advanced options and run the "extended" tests.

3. rodmike9

rodmike9 Thread Starter

Thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated.

It is a self-built system.

Here are the specs:

Intel core I7, 2.8ghz
    MSI P55 GD80 LGA 1156 Intel P55 motherboard
    4gb (2x2) DDR3 Ram
    MSI N250GTS TwinFrozr 1gb 256-bit video card
    EVGA GTS250 512MB 256-bit video card
    Coolmax 950w power supply

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Might be a video card mismatch or similar issue as the power supply certainly should do the job.

I would try to simplify the setup as much as possible and test with just one display card at a time, disabling the dual option in the BIOS.

If you have overclocked anything, set to defaults for a test period.

Any BSOD minidumps would be worth a gander.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917984

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice