1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internal Smart Card Reader

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Morania, Nov 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Morania

Morania Thread Starter

I'm looking for a Smart Card reader and USB hub combination to fit in a 5.25 bay. I found one but it requires three internal USB ports. I have those on my Asus A7V card. It also needs to Win98se to work. I have the first edition and had some trouble once trying to use the internal USB ports while connecting my current USB hub. It sounds like 98se supports the feature. Are there any simpler products or a nifty solution of PCI cards and such?

2. Rockn

Rockn

What do you mean by niftier? If you have USB on the motherboard as well as the smart card connector (which the A7V has) why would you want to go out and buy another one? Go to SOYO's web site, they have bays for smart card and USB in one unit.

3. Morania

Morania Thread Starter

I have a USB hub now.
    I want to replace it with a USB/Smart Card Combo.
    The new rig will probably want to use two of the internal connections to tie into the mother board.
    I think that the 98se will support this but think that the 98 first doesn't like playing with the internal connections.
    Soyo is like a secret society who want no contact with anyone now except people who purchased the new computers they offer.
    Hence, I gave up and am now chillin' with my buds, the Tech Guys/Girls.

4. Morania

Morania Thread Starter

The USB hub is currently tied into one of the ports on the back of my mahine with a jumper. No internal connections are in use and if I try to use them, I get conflicts.

I found the product from Soyo that I would like to try and am now getting some more details to make a wise purchase...or not.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/104860

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice