1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internal Speaker makes what sound like an alarm sound

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hitman84, Mar 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hitman84

Hitman84 Thread Starter

I've NEVER heard this out of my computer before. While World of Warcraft is running the box itself suddenly makes what sounds like an "alarm" from im guessing the internal speaker. The moment I close the game or minimize it the sound stops.

Can anyone help with this?

2. Sponsor

3. replay

replay

4. Hitman84

Hitman84 Thread Starter

Fan is running but the large air filter under it is admittedly dusty. I have no compressed air at the moment.

I've never dealt with the processor so very hesitant to touch anything related to it. Not sure how I would go about checking if the heatskink is tight or how to check on the thermal paste. Know what it is but...never applied it or know how to check on it.

System is a 3.2 ghz P4HT system.
    geforce 7600gt video card.
    Onboard sound.
    Abit AA8XE Mobo

Also, assumeing speedfan has set itself up properly it's showing CPU Temp at 51-52 Celcius with a little fire symbol at basically 0 system use. When running a game like oblivion, which is fairly system intensive it jumps up to over 63c less then a minute into the game. I COULD be wrong but I think even though the fan is running on system boot it's not throttling up at higher temps. I distinctly remember the system getting louder when I ran WoW and it doesn't seem to be doing that anymore. To counter that speefan does show a 200+ rpm difference however.

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The problem may be twofold, a clogged heatsink and a slowing fan (bearings).

A small paintbrush and a vacuum cleaner fixes the heatsink, dont touch the vacuum nozzle to anything (there can be staic under some curcumstances with high powered suction) just vaccum away the air containg the loosened dust. Its all I ever use.

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

I've seen SpeedFan incorrectly report high temperatures with P4 processors, especially ones with Prescott cores.

Go to this link; http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html and download SIW 1.67.

This is an executable that does not have to be installed on the machine. Download SIW to your desktop and launch the application. After the application launches in the left pane click on CPU Info. In the right pane you should get information about the processor. Post the CPU Code Name and Platform Name provided in the right pane.

This is a handy tool to just leave on your desktop for later reference of your system, but if you want to delete it, just right click on the icon and click delete.

7. Hitman84

Hitman84 Thread Starter

Code Name: Prescott

Platform Name: LGA775

8. win2kpro

win2kpro

Prescott cores running on socket 775 have a thermal specification of 67.7c. If the SpeedFan temp is correct 51-52c at idle is a little high, but nothing I would really worry about.

I would be very concerned that the temp is increasing rapidly under load. I would do what kiwiguy suggests in post #4 and clean the heatsink.

I don't know what case fans you have, but I would clean the case with compressed air and clean any case fan blades with a Q-Tip dipped in isoprophyl alcohol. Also, one place people miss when cleaning a case is the front air intake. I would pull off the front cover and make sure the front air intake is clean.

9. Hitman84

Hitman84 Thread Starter

Well, the system is a two year old alienware so I don't think the front cover even comes off. One front vent however is part of the side panel and I clean regularly. Component cards I can do, memory I can replace I've NEVER even touched the processor or cpu so am admittedly nervous at even touching it. Umm. There's one fan mounted to the panel which blasts at the video card and an exhaust fan.(besides the processor). My brother has been working with PCs so Im tempted to go out tomorrow just buy a new fan and pack of arctic silver and have him put that in after a cleaning of the heatsink, which Ill probably have him pull off.

Would water be ok on the q-tip to clean the fan blades?

10. win2kpro

win2kpro

Personally, I wouldn't want to use water. Isoprophyl alcohol is cheap, evaporates quickly and easily removes any dirt buildup from the fan blades. Buildups of dirt on the blades reduce the fan's cooling efficiency.

On some CPU coolers the fan cannot be easily replaced so normally I just go ahead and replace the complete cooler assembly (fan and heatsink).

11. Hitman84

Hitman84 Thread Starter

Yah I've been thinking of just replaceing it. Leaning towards a ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro.

12. Hitman84

Hitman84 Thread Starter

Cleaned out the inside of the case, picked up the ac47 Pro and with some AS5 I'm idleing about 10 degrees cooler. thanks for the help guys.

13. win2kpro

win2kpro

Very Good! (y)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/553924