1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Internal Speaker

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by donsor, Apr 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. donsor

donsor Thread Starter

My new motherboard is an MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon. I built the rig myself and it's working good except for one minor thing. When I start the PC I don't hear the single "short beep" when it boots. I checked the board and found the speaker connected to the connector. Assuming that perhaps the speaker was defective, I purchased a new one and installed it but still no "single beep". The board has a UEFI AMI Bios. Any idea why?

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

The single beep on successful post was removed on many boards some years ago, as it served no useful purpose.
    https://service.msicomputer.com/msi_user/support/techfaqdetail.aspx?formid=3065
    If it did not post then the error beeps were retained, although to some extent have been replaced on boards such as yours Your board has leds for CPU, DRAM,VGA and boot
    I am not suggesting that the speaker /buzzer would not still be useful, but the single beep does not operate

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  3. Macboatmaster

donsor
    May we receive your reply please

4. donsor

donsor Thread Starter

Sorry for the delay in responding. I was able to contact the MSI tech support and I got my answer. Apparently the internal post beep speaker is not used so I just remove it. However the motherboard have four "EZ Debug LEDs (one each for the CPU, DRAM, VGA, & BOOT) which were not shown on the Overview of the Components drawing. When the tech pointed them out to me I found them and observed them go ON momentarily and then OFF when I turned on the PC I suppose as an indication that the "systems" were OK. I was informed however that some motherboards still use an internal speaker as problem indicator. Consider this thread as SOLVED. Thanks much.

5. Macboatmaster

Presumably you did not read my reply

I told you that the beep for a successful post was no longer used and I also pointed out the LEDS which are clearly shown in manual both on the board diagram and explained in detail in the appropriate section

I also provided the MSI link explaining the cessation of the single beep successful post

The tech is IMHO wrong the BIOS still produces error beeps if something is amiss - however as I explained in my reply, which as I said -appears to have never even been read by you, these have been largely replaced to some extent by the LEDS

However as you consider it solved - which I suggest it was when I posted my reply
    Click mark solved on your opening post please

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1226401

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice