Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Internal Speaker

Solved 
539 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Macboatmaster 
#1 ·
My new motherboard is an MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon. I built the rig myself and it's working good except for one minor thing. When I start the PC I don't hear the single "short beep" when it boots. I checked the board and found the speaker connected to the connector. Assuming that perhaps the speaker was defective, I purchased a new one and installed it but still no "single beep". The board has a UEFI AMI Bios. Any idea why?

#2 · (Edited)
The single beep on successful post was removed on many boards some years ago, as it served no useful purpose.
https://service.msicomputer.com/msi_user/support/techfaqdetail.aspx?formid=3065
If it did not post then the error beeps were retained, although to some extent have been replaced on boards such as yours Your board has leds for CPU, DRAM,VGA and boot
I am not suggesting that the speaker /buzzer would not still be useful, but the single beep does not operate

#3 ·
donsor
May we receive your reply please

#4 ·
Sorry for the delay in responding. I was able to contact the MSI tech support and I got my answer. Apparently the internal post beep speaker is not used so I just remove it. However the motherboard have four "EZ Debug LEDs (one each for the CPU, DRAM, VGA, & BOOT) which were not shown on the Overview of the Components drawing. When the tech pointed them out to me I found them and observed them go ON momentarily and then OFF when I turned on the PC I suppose as an indication that the "systems" were OK. I was informed however that some motherboards still use an internal speaker as problem indicator. Consider this thread as SOLVED. Thanks much.

#5 · (Edited)
Presumably you did not read my reply

I told you that the beep for a successful post was no longer used and I also pointed out the LEDS which are clearly shown in manual both on the board diagram and explained in detail in the appropriate section

I also provided the MSI link explaining the cessation of the single beep successful post

The tech is IMHO wrong the BIOS still produces error beeps if something is amiss - however as I explained in my reply, which as I said -appears to have never even been read by you, these have been largely replaced to some extent by the LEDS

However as you consider it solved - which I suggest it was when I posted my reply
Click mark solved on your opening post please

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.