1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internal Speakers Don't Output any Sound

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bebichan, Jan 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bebichan

Bebichan Thread Starter

Hi

Okay this problem is driving me slightly insane...:mad:
    I actually called in a dell engineer to help fix it but he completely failed. (as expected).

Okay so the problem is:
    My speakers are absolutely fully functioning, they work perfectly when a test is run on start up. I.E. they output beeping sounds.

However when the operating system loads up, there is no sound. If I use headphones it works fine, but the speakers don't output any sound on their own.

So the tech guy changed the internal speakers- still the same problem-and then checked out/updated the drivers which left us with STILL the same problem...tried it in safe mode-still the same problem.

Is there any kind of *easy* solution to this that we're missing?

I'm still waiting for a response from Dell, but don't expect anything really.

Any help would be appreciated!

Audio= Sigmatel Audio

Dell Precision M4300
    Intel Core 2 Duo
    1.80GHz
    789 MHz
    1GB RAM
    Microsoft XP SP3

2. drbali

drbali

Far be it for me to criticise your Dell "technician".

However, the first thing I would do is go to Start - Settings - Control Panel - Sounds and Audio Devices

Double click it to get to Sounds and Audio Devices Properties. Click Audio and check that nothing is turned off (muted) and the volume levels are set properly.

If that was the "problem", the Dell technician should be sacked immediately.

;)

3. Bebichan

Bebichan Thread Starter

Haha...

well i did all those basic checks myself immediately of course before i just gave up and contacted them :(

4. drbali

drbali

Is this a new computer? If so, I'd be demanding that Dell send another technician or replace your machine with one that works.

Were other sound outputs, apart from your headphones, working before? If so, can you remember changing anything related to sounds?

By "internal speakers", do you mean the tiny one on the motherboard which is only good for listening to POST beeps and not much else? If so, what did the tech guy actually change?

Are you using an on-board sound card? Have you added a different one without disabling the on-board one in your BIOS? If so, maybe the sound settings on your new soundcard aren't properly enabled.

I can only presume that the tech guy checked all your motherboard's connections, any jumpers, etc.

In the end, you've got me intrigued and I'd love to know what the final problem/solution turns out to be.

:cool:

5. dfrankfurter

dfrankfurter

It seems to me that this may be a problem I have also been trying to solve. My guess is that you have windows xp sp3. Many people have reported that on upgrade to sp3 from sp2 the internal speakers suddenly stop working, while extenal speakers work fine. The only solutions I have found are either not intelligble to mr average, or don't work. I would llive to have a simple workable solution that even us dumb semi-sophisticated users can understand and which works. .... Anyone able to take up the challenge???

6. dfrankfurter

dfrankfurter

Since this post, I found the solution - which with modification will probably help others.
    On my Lenovo computer I
    1. Updated the BIOS using downlaods from the Lenovo site
    2. Reinstalled the Realtek Audio driver from the Lenovo site
    3. Went into the Realtek driver folder & ran the Realtek AdDrvLdr program
    4. Rebooted .. and ..
    5. voila! all was fixed

Good luck.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/788505

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice