1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internal Speakers not working, but Headphones are

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by abpost, Nov 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. abpost

abpost Thread Starter

I see that this is a pretty popular question on this forum by searching, but none of those methods are really working for me.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1520 that I think I have a SigmaTel Audio system (I'm not the best with computers, but I think it does). I use Microsoft XP.

This problem started a few months ago when I had my computer plugged into a TV through both VGA and headphone jack. Somehow the headphone male part got bent when it was in and when I unplugged it the internal speakers no longer worked, but headphones and external speakers work fine. I've searched the internet for a while for ways to fix it over the last month or so, but couldn't find anything that actually worked. This wouldn't really be a problem, but I move my laptop around a lot and live in a college dorm room and it's tough to have speakers constantly set up and connected to my laptop.

I've read a little about problems like this and it appears that I probably hit something inside the headphone jack when the plug bent that makes the computer think headphones are always plugged in (just a guess). I've tried plugging and unplugging my headphones really fast like a million times and it hasn't worked. I've reinstalled the sound drivers, reset the computer, etc. I'm kind of out of ideas. I think I may have to open up the computer, which I really don't want to do (I've done it before to install RAM and stuff, but I'm not great at it), but if there's an easy solution when you open the computer then I could do that, but I'd prefer to find some sort of solution that I don't have to open up the computer to fix.

Thank you very much for any ideas you have! Sorry if I did this wrong, as it's my first post on the forum :)

2. abpost

abpost Thread Starter

bump... anyone help?

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

You will have damaged the headphone socket, which contains a switch that cuts out the speakers when headphones are plugged in.

You will need a replacement socket fitted to the motherboard, which requires complete disassembly and VERY GOOD soldering skills (to avoid destroying the multilayer motherboard)

Take or send it for service.

4. abpost

abpost Thread Starter

ok, I figured something like that. Laptop is getting pretty old, so I guess I'll just get a new one soon since there's not an easy solution

Thank you very much!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/880379

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice