internal timers

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jason Fox

I'm a little worried about someting I discovered today.

My sister and I have a computer right next to each other. I wanted to see if both of the computers would activate the screensaver at the same time if set at one minute. I set the settings and pressed apply. After everthing had settled, I pressed the spacebar on both computers at the same time, lifting at the same time. The computers should have activated at the same time. They didn't. They began about 2 or 3 seconds from each other.

My computer is supposed to be the faster one! It's a amd athlon 1.0 ghz with a 60 gig HD (49.3 free) and 128 megs of ram.

Her's is a Intel celeron, 700 mhz with about 40 gigs of HD space (33.0 free) and 63 megs of ram.

What gives?

Are you sure you are comparing like with like?
It's not only RAM, Processor and the like that alter response times, you have to consider operating syatems, software loaded, applications running at the time (particularly those that run at startup automatically) and a zillion other factors.

If the result is only a matter of 2 to 3 seconds, I would consider that reasonable, unless of course you have noticed any other performance related problems with the'slower' PC.

The most likely reason this happens is because polling the computer every single second or half second to check if the screensaver should be run would hinder performance greatly. So windows probably only checks every 3-5 seconds to keep performance up and still have a reasonable amount of accuracy in these cases.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online