Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Internal to external hard drive issue(s)

878 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  guamster 
#1 ·
Hello. Newb here. I recently took out the hard drive on my old computer and made it into an external hard drive after purchasing an enclosure for it. Plugging it in, I quicky found that I am unable to find files such as pictures, music, and videos.

Questions:

1. Does anyone know why this would be?
2. If I reconnect HD to old computer, is it safe to assume that files will reappear?

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

#3 ·
How is the the drive jumpered? it should be master for external caddys
Is the drive recognised in "my computer"?
I'm not familiar with the term 'jumpered' or the concept 'master for external caddys'. Our new machine does recognize the new drive in 'my computer'. It's drive (J) which I renamed 'Old PC Hard Drive'. When I click into properties, I see that roughly the same amount of space is currently being occupied...actually a bit more for some reason that I can't conjure up.

I am running on Windows XP, as was our previous machine.

Thanks again in advance for any feedback.

#5 ·
I see a lot of familiar file names. One thing that is stumping me at the moment is that when I try to go into 'documents and settings' into folder 'alef', that by the way is my name and folder in which most of my stuff was at, I get an error prompt saying that says 'J:\Document and Settings\alef is not accessible...Access is Denied'. I have gone through pretty much every other available/accessible file folder listed and I cannot for the life of me find what I am looking for even though, as previously mentioned, hard drive occupying about the same amount of space prior to my removing from old machine. I can open, copy and generally move stuff around but that's it. Most of the stuff that I need is apparently unaccessible.

Assuming that I am unable to access for whatever reason, is putting hard drive back into old machine and moving files to new external drive a possibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.