1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internal to External?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cv50, Oct 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cv50

cv50 Thread Starter

PC crapped out, but HDD is still ok. If I put this drive into external USB enclosure, will I be able access it from another PC?

2. gberger

gberger

Yes if the hard drive was not affected. You will be able to access your data, but not run programs.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  4. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Maybe. You won't know until you try. My suggestion is that if you have access to another computer, see if you can connect the drive to it as an internal drive before you buy an enclosure or adapter that may not work. You don't have to actually install the drive; just open the case and connect it to the power supply and MOBO. Make sure it is sitting on a non-conductive surface like an antistatic bag or ESD foam. USB drive adapters and external enclosures are really useful, but you don't have to buy either of them just to test a drive.

5. cv50

cv50 Thread Starter

If I try & connect internal to another comp, will the there be a conflict with the MOBO because it is different?

6. replay

replay

when u connect it to another computer it will NOT be the boot drive,it will show when windows loads then u can drag your files off

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024761

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice