Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Internal v External Hard Drives

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  JohnWill 
#1 ·
I need to upgrade my hard drive (currently only have 8mb). As I am really new to all this upgrading malarky I was thinking about getting an external drive (just plug and play). Is it worth getting an external drive as an upgrade? WIll there be much difference in performance etc? Any other hints / tips / advice?
Thanks
Michelle

#2 ·
If you only have an 8 MB drive, we could assume the PC is a few years old?

That would mean it may only have USB 1.1, which will be quite slow for a drive. Its also possible that the PC will not support booting from the external drive?

Some idea of your existing hardware would help.

#4 ·
I have a Packard Bell Club 85 Series Pentium 3 - 450mhz(I cant complain because I won it a few years ago). The motherboard is a Tempest (that's all the info I have).
Is it possible for me to install a usb2 port?
The existing hard disk is 8.4gb UDMA. Is there anything in particular Iwill need to look for in a new hard drive?
Also, is it worth me reformatting (if I dare) my current drive because half of it is being used but I upgraded to windows xp recently and dont have access to anything that was previously installed (bought the wrong program), so the only programs I am running are xp, firewall and antivrus which cant be taking up all that memory.
Thanks
Michelle

#5 ·
Perfomance will be significantly slower, even with a USB 2.0 expansion card. Part of the performance equation with USB drives is the process or speed, and your's isn't up to the task. It'll be a lot better than a disk on a USB 1.1 connection, but no speed demon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.