Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Internal vs External Hard Drive.

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  KugarWeb 
#1 ·
Hi,

I want to increase my storage space and I was thinking of going for either an internal or external hard drive. I was thinking of getting 250GB for my desktop, but i've noticed you can get 500GB or 1TB or a few bucks more, so might as well get a bigger one? But then comes the question as to how long these would last? Is it a one time investment or 3 years down the lane it would stop working?

Also, I'm not sure how the Ext HD works. For example, can I install a PC game on the Ext Hard drive and then play it from there? Or that will not work? I know I can download stuff to it, but can I actually use the Ext HD to run programs, like DVDs, music or most importantly video games.

The one i'm interested in transfers data at about 400MBps through the USB @ 7200 RPM. Not sure i that makes a difference....

Would really appreciate your help here!

Regards,

S

#2 ·
Hi there,

Well from my own personal experience I've found my internal hard drive to be much more reliable than the external, although I did carry the external hard drive around a lot so it might have become a bit battered etc. lol.

Anyway, I very much doubt you'll be able to play something like a game although you wouldn't have any problems using video files from the external hard drive. The main problem you'll have with games is that because of the amount of information having to be accessed and because you'll most likely be connecting the external drive to a USB port or at best, a FireWire port, you'll notice performance issues and the hard drive just won't be able to keep up with your computer's requests because of the slow transfer rate.

Cheers,

Andrew.

#4 ·
Not a problem :).

I wouldn't have thought so, it's just from personal experience really. It all depends how much you spend and the make of hard drive which you get. Whether you get an internal or an external hard drive also depends on what you're going to be using it for.

External is usually only used for backup and general storage whereas the Internal is used for programs and files which you need to access immediately or for much of the time due to the access times that Internal HDDs offer versus External HDDs. :)

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.