Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Internal vs. external hard drives

13K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  JohnWill 
#1 ·
I'm planning on buying a new hard drive to use as a backup drive. What are the pros and cons of internal and external drives (assume price is not an issue)

#2 ·
Internal, generally faster. More options, you can use it for backup or a RAID

External, you can completely disconnect the drive from power and system, this potects it from virus/ worms and power surges.
Easier to install for the novice.

#5 ·
rome75 said:
... If I plan to just use the drive about once a month to backup data, am I better off with an external drive?
YES
It might be better yet ....
If you considered a USB External HD Enclosure ... then put an Internal HD in it.

To go with the External ... You should get this software ...
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

Available here ...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ption=acronis true image&bop=And&Order=PRICED

Then you can also backup your Operating System along with your Data.

#8 ·
My personal requirements are a front panel power switch ... which is rare for some dumb reason.
I also avoid any "One Touch" externals ... they've messed up my computer a couple of times.

I've tried one of these for a friend ... and I liked it.
What I didn't like .. the HD installation was a little messy as compared to the Sanmax.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817155512

#9 ·
I would never rely on any hard drive as a back up! Buy a decent DVD burner and burn your files on there and keep them in a secure scratch free environment.
Better yet, buy a tape back-up. I've seen DVDs scratched and the data is ruined. I had a server room flood once and the case of the tapes were ruined. I re-spooled the tape on a new cartridge and HOLY S#!T! I pulled the data off the tape. Just don't store them near any magnets. :)

#10 ·
CAPSLOCK said:
I would never rely on any hard drive as a back up!
Agreed (sort of) ... That's why I have two External enclosures.
This also backs up the external hardware ... which so far ... has seemed to be less reliable than the HDs
One reason why I use the enclosure concept .. and build my own.

I've gone beyond what DVDs can hold.

#11 ·
CAPSLOCK said:
I would never rely on any hard drive as a back up! Buy a decent DVD burner and burn your files on there and keep them in a secure scratch free environment.
Better yet, buy a tape back-up. I've seen DVDs scratched and the data is ruined. I had a server room flood once and the case of the tapes were ruined. I re-spooled the tape on a new cartridge and HOLY S#!T! I pulled the data off the tape. Just don't store them near any magnets. :)
To each his own. Personally, I store my backups on a minimum of two separate hard disks (as well as the original), and I also save them to DVD periodically. If I had to choose one media type, it would be the hard disks, not the DVD's.

#13 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.