1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet access for 2nd user on the computer

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Me22, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Me22

Me22 Thread Starter

How do I set up an Internet connection in another user account on my computer
    I am the administrator on the computer But my husband wants to accesss the Internet also with the same ISP without paying for another account
    I have created a new user account for him on the computer But don't know how to set him up on the internet too
    Please help an oldie

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    if hes set up as an admin he should have access to it anyway ?
    otherwise you can just set it up from his account exactly the same as yo u did for yours.
    but i have win2k and xppro and had no problem setting up i account for all users to use

3. Me22

Me22 Thread Starter

I have not set up up with Administrater privilages
    Not sure how to do that
    But how do I set up his account in Outlook Express and Internet Explorer please?
    I typed my details in but it would not accept them. I cannot create a new email in his name as my account is just my name @terra.es
    So no room for another name after the @ sign Help! :confused:

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    OK so you want him to have a seperate email account.

lets make sure i understand the situation

user1 - has a dial up - phone number, username and password - this connects to your ISP. as part of the ISP service user1 also has an email account called [email protected]

user2 - can use the same dial-up and internet connection.
    however, user2 will NOT have a sperate email address [email protected] unless the ISP has provided you with the facility to have more than 1 email account.

i thought you just wanted to dial in and surf - not have seperate emails.

you can ask your ISP if you can have another email on your account - lots provide upto 5 emails free - some loads more.

SO 1) he will be able to use your dial-up to surf but 2) will not have a seperate email unless supplied by the company your dialuptoo

post details (NOTE PASSWORD) of your company ISP, there website and the name of the service your subscribe too

5. Me22

Me22 Thread Starter

Hi Just dial up and surf would be great for a start! Hes new on the computer and I want to preserve my files lol
    So how do I do this then...........set him up an administrater account too.......but then can't he access my files though?
    Think only 1 email account with my server
    It is terra.es..........as we are recently moved from uk
    And the connection is CRAP! lol

I tried adding all my details to his user account But it came up no internet connection.

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    so from his account - you set up an internet connection manually
    type if the phone number
    your username
    your password
    then when i tries to set up an email say no

then you should ahve a dialup from his PC account which will dial and connect to your ISP account.

what happens when you connect using this dialup??

7. Me22

Me22 Thread Starter

Will try and let you know Computer keeps crashing today with this bad Spanish connection Give me good old Freeserve!

8. Me22

Me22 Thread Starter

PS But if I make him an administrator too can I still keep my stuff private? lol

9. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you should be able to allow him to make a connection without being admin

if hes admin he can do everything and see everthing

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  11. Me22

Me22 Thread Starter

Terra is rubbish Cant even send mail from their own online mail site Lets me sign in but thats it

12. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you sure you havent got other problems on the PC causing your issues ???

13. Me22

Me22 Thread Starter

Just had it wiped as thought I may have But the connection is pretty much the same and my spanish is nil to complain!

14. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    sorry did not understand last post

15. Me22

Me22 Thread Starter

What I was saying was I have just had the computer re formatted and Xp re installeed in case the prob was the computer itself But no different
    Anyway I set up the 2nd account as a limited user account
    So where do I gi from there?
    Looked in the dial up box properties It says certain features are not available in this account
    Typed my name and password inthe blank dial up box But it wont connect Am I missing something here?
    Should I have used the new connection wizard? But the connection (terra) is already in the connect to. show all the connections box

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273474

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice