1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

internet access for laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by khiam, May 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. khiam

khiam Thread Starter

I have a gateway laptop (win xp) and would like ot make it internet accessible, by routing it to my desktop (have lyncsys router) and also being able to use it on the go - airport terminals, hotels,relative's house, etc. I'm an amatuer, so be gentle - but how do I go about hooking this all up?

thanks for your help :cool:
    Karen

2. WarC

WarC

On your laptop's end you'll need a wireless network card. It will automatically join the network with the strongest signal and you can then surf the web freely as long as your in range of an open access point.

For networking using CAT-5 cable (the big blue telephone cord lookin stuff) you'll either have a connection in the back of your laptop or you'll have to buy a second networking card (doh!) for your laptop..this one with a plug for CAT-5 obviously. You may be able to buy network cards that are both wired and wireless but I'm not sure on that. Check the Linksys website.

Linksys sells these and you'd be best off buying from them for compatibility reasons. With the included CD it basically walks you through setting it up and physically getting the laptop on the network. The biggest trouble is finding a spot where you can get online...And the wireless cards for laptops generally have crappy range.

With Windows 2000 or XP you'll have two network connections which you can then rename to "Wired" and "Wireless" for instance, so its less confusing. It will switch connections on the fly depending on what connection your using, and this way you can have the wired network on a set IP address and let the wireless roam.

3. WarC

WarC

The above post assumes your router is already set up, if not you will need to set that up first. Just ask and I or someone else will gladly blab the directions out.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/233179

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice