internet access problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

pondflyer

For about three months I have been putting up with a situation that occurs randomly but often. Both browsers (IE and Firefox) work the same. Connected thru Cox w/cable modem. Websites are slow to load at times, other times they load at normal high speed and at other times, no sites will load, connection seems dead but status bar is indication that site has been found, waiting for response - trying a different, unrelated site does the same. I can go off and do something else for a while, come back and have normal operation without rebooting or otherwise resetting anything.

I recently added a new laptop and wireless router and much to my distress it suffers from the same malady. Digital cable works fine so I know the cable is good and I can disconnect either the hardwired computer or the laptop (remove the router) and neither computer will work any better without the other. Both are running Win XP home.

Seems like a cable modem problem; can I check it? How?

Dick

and I can disconnect either the hardwired computer or the laptop (remove the router) and neither computer will work any better without the other
If you reset the cablemodem and powered off the PC and powered it back on when you removed it then its definitely your cable connection - I.E. ISP, or line, or cablemodem problems.

TerryNet

Terry
I vote with StumpedTechy, and give odds of 80% that it's a problem with your ISP.

pondflyer

OK, I'll check with cox tech support before doing anything else; just know that none of my neighbors are having problems.

Thanks for input.

Dick

I am a new memeber and this is my firs post.
I work for Charter Communication as a Broadband Network Engineer so i have some advices for you.
But before you should ask your self some questions.
Check for any splitters that you might have in a house.
Do you have VOIP as well?
Do you experience issues at certain times or is it random?
If none of your neighbors are having issue then your issue is probably local in or around your house, since you all share bandwitdh of cable node.
You might want to check your cable modems internal signals. Depending on cable modem brand, you can surf to cable modems internal IP (exmpl: 192.168.100.1 for surfboards)
Good signals are
Downstream power=-12 to +12db
Upstream power= 30 to 55db
SNR (Signal to noise ratio)= 35db and up
Anything outside these specs (more or less) will give you problems with modem.
Also, while issue is happening try to do some pings and trace routes.To tyour router first then to COX gateway and then to outside. Trace routes will tell you where bottleneck is (if there's one)
I could go all night but these should be enough for now and will help you determine if problem is your house or COX plant or somewhere beyond.

Hope it helps

220VOLT-YOUR SOURCE FOR INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
Networking, Computers, IT Exams, Free Ebooks and tons of IT material.

pondflyer

220, thanks for response - the problem is totally random. Doesn't matter whether TV's are on or off, don't have VOIP but do have Cox phone service. I do have a splitter; Cox replaced the one that came with the house with one of theirs (because digital TV wasn't working properly). Now that you mentioned that, it occurs to me that my problem started about the time they replaced the thing so my first move is going to be to have them come and check it out - they also sold me the cable modem when we moved in 18 months ago and I am paying them to keep the data coming (data line warranty).

I don't know how to find the ip address you mentioned and don't know how to ping but I should be able to find out about that during the Cox checkup.

Thanks again,

Dick

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online