1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

internet access problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by okeee, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. okeee

okeee Thread Starter

winxp, router (wireless, for cable and wireless internet connection to several computers)

for a while, about 1x in a few days, there is suddenly no internet access. when the power cable to the router was plugged out and then plugged in again, there is internet access again. when internet access is down, it is down on all computers.

it changed to some other connection error: for some reason there is (suddenly) no connection to internet browsers, but I can still play games over the internet(multiplayer games). plugging the cable out does not regain connection, but restarting of the computer does. I tried internet service provider for lots of time, but they cant solve the problem.

2. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

do you have any computers hardwired to the router? it also having same problems?
    can you ping router from all machines even when internet seems to be down?

have you tried logging into the router and checking internet connections direct from router to make sure they are working ok, this would certainly determine whether we are looking at a router, line, or computer problem.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Does your modem have LEDs that indicate it still has a connection to your ISP? If so, it sounds like you have the same type of router problem I do (I've just been too lazy to replace it; want it to fail more solidly so I can pitch it out :) )--still have internet access, but browsers cannot load web pages. And the "fix" is to reset or power cycle the router.

If this describes your problem you can try making sure you have the latest firmware and then reset the router to factory default settings and reconfigure. But, I suspect you'll be replacing the router when the problems begin happening too often.

4. okeee

okeee Thread Starter

Yeah according to them connection is just ok. The lamps on the modem are still on. I'm not sure what firmware is. I didnt configure the router myself, and I'm not sure if I could do it so I'd rather not reset the modem.

router: sitecom wireless network broadband router 300N.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973171

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice